Sunday 30 July 2023

Time flies.


It's amazing to think that our sojourn in France is already two thirds over; we have just one month left.

With the barn possibly sold, we have so much to do. We now have to find homes for all those treasures we were happy to lend to the much bigger house.

I have a lot of tree pruning to do, a lot of chasing-up tradesmen, and a lot of entertaining. We have had the calm; now the storm. 

Our new telegraph pole is still awaiting the 'phone people' to attach the wires, but that could be months away. It's possible they will turn-up after we've gone, then simply go away again. When they say 'two weeks' that could mean anything up to two years!

The 'temporary' power cable that comes from the back of the cottage (above), that feeds a neighbour's house is still there after FOUR YEARS, and still presents a danger to passers by, or to those who mow the path. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard the French equivalent of 'None of my business Gov' when asking people to deal with the matter. Why would anyone in their right mind want a temporary cable running for about 200 metres above ground (for FOUR YEARS) to feed their nice modern home with electricity. GET IT FIXED !!! Surely a permanent supply must be better than this.

I don't wish to bore you with all our problems, but I think we may have to have an entire new septic tank system next year, which will involve the removal of a lot of big trees. Nightmare.

The weather has been mixed, from 15 C to over 32 C, with plenty of night-time rain and one spectacular storm; we've had a bit of everything. However, we've managed to swim almost every day.

We were very disappointed to discover that our favourite restaurant has been messed with, and will no longer have our patronage. However, we've been very pleased to reunite ourselves with another nearby farm/restaurant which is superb. 

Whilst writing the above, my lovely neighbour, and very good friend, J, has just turned up with a bucket of Beans and Tomatoes (above), with the additional offer that I can go to his garden whenever I want, and take as much as I like. What a nice guy he is, we've almost grown-up together and I've known FIVE generations of his family. He's almost 80 but you'd find that difficult to believe. He's the nearest thing I have to 'family' here in France.

We had some of the Beans about 30 mins after he'd gone; they were simply gorgeous. One can easily forget what outdoor vegs can taste like. Until you've tasted home grown, sun-kissed, Tomatoes, you haven't lived. Thank you my friend! Our Courgettes are still doing well.



24 comments:

  1. Only one month to go. At least with the barn sold you should have lot less upkeep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not 100% certain yet, but it looks as if someone is serious about it. It will save me a lot of mowing.

      Delete
    2. p.s. It's a great shame to see it go. It's a gorgeous house and no-one has really lived in it properly. All that hard work I did was for nothing.

      Delete
    3. That's a shame although I always thought you bought it for your family to holiday in rather than live in.

      Delete
  2. I hope the new barn owners are the quiet and peaceful sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something you really must consider, although I don't see you will have much control over that. Good luck !

      Delete
  3. In my mind, you and her regal ladyship only got back to France five minutes ago. Sorry to hear that a new septic tank may be required. Rather than relying on French workmen, you ought to sign up a team of Polish lads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Polish Lads could be equally distributed between France and England. We might then get things done.

      Delete
    2. I feel your pain, we had to have a new septic fitted. very costly and makes a huge mess.

      Delete
  4. Time passes so quickly, it doesn't seem that long ago that you were planning your return to France. Brexit has thwarted so many people's plans of spending time in another EU country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to re-join the single market, and re-install freedom of movement. Forget all the political stuff and European armies, etc. Lets have more trade and travel.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We have family arriving in a couple of weeks, so that'll be fun.

      Delete
  6. A friend brought me a boiling of broad beans - I podded them and simmered them geently for five minutes. The result was divine. You are right Cro - straight from ground to pot - nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was alone for lunch today so I cooked some of J's beans, chopped one of his tomatoes over them, and added a small amount of salt and mayo. What a really delicious meal. I could eat that every day!

      Delete
  7. Your time in France seems to fly by. Will you be required to be in France for the septic tank job? I remember the build of the septic tank and leaching bed on my property and it was huge job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll wait till we get back next year then get the man to come at once. He's actually quite reliable.

      Delete
  8. I love your posts with your fresh produce turned into delicious meals. I discovered some leftover beans in my garden this morning. I plan to have them for lunch, (with a few chopped tomatoes on top.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I had for lunch, and this evening I'm using more of his Tomatoes for a simple pasta sauce.

      Delete
  9. Are you really restricted to staying there for only 3 months per annum....? Can't you go over for a few weeks extra at a time? Time does fly when you have to pack everything into a few months. Must make you feel sad every time you have to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could apply for an extension visa, but it's all too much of a fuss. We're OK as we are. We might go over our permitted time this year as we'd planned to go back to England for a couple of weeks for a wedding, but the groom caught Covid and it was re-scheduled.

      Delete
  10. How I wish you could return to as you were, and I'm totally uninvolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we. It was all running so smoothly, then along came Brexit. Of course, we voted AGAINST it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...