Sunday 19 October 2014

The big local Chestnut (and Cèpe) Fête.



Yesterday was the opening day of our 2 day local Chestnut, AND CÈPE, fête.


So, you can imagine my pleasure when I found my first Cèpe of the season just before leaving for Villefranche; I shall go out again later. Omelet for lunch!


Now, I don't want you to get the impression that we are all TOTALLY OBSESSED with Mr Penny-Bun, but in the growing season it does occupy 99.9% of our waking time.

If people aren't out hunting them; they're making them.


There are life-size hand painted plaster ones (at €12 each).


There are bigger ones made into garlic pots, or salt and pepper pots at various prices. 


And there are giant wooden ones (these ones are relatively small) that are used as stools.

Most of these are no better than garden gnomes, and are not for me. Personally I'd rather the real thing, and will probably be out in the woods for the next few days. I'm hoping to do some preserves.

Right, I'm off to the woods......A suivre.


17 comments:

  1. Wow, I never thought I'd see a show on mushrooms. In certain foresty parts of South Africa after a rain shower, as youngsters we used go into the woods and pick macawes.. These huge wild mushrooms were delicious in an omelet too. Enjoy your Cepe season. Looks like great fun. Greetings. Jo (East Africa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here the only good ones that I know are growing under the pine trees. We used to have a lot of them in my garden but not any more. .They grow only after the first rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have about 5 or 6 varieties that are highly sought after here, but the Cepes are KING.

      Delete
  3. 99% of your waking time? doesn't leave mush room for anything else does it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preserves you say - mushroom jam! Non, il est impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't say that I have ever tasted a cep - but from the amount of drooling you do over the cep season I assume they are delicious. Incidentally, we are having your lamb and butter bean concoction for lunch today - with masses of garlic bread to sop up the juices. I will report back later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think with those ingredients, you can't go wrong.

      Delete
  6. The garden gnomey things are just as you say, garden gnomey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a certain sort of hippy around the West here who parks his camper on a roadside verge and spends the whole season carving giant wooden mushrooms in the hope of selling them to passers-by. I don't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally, your fungus has flowered and you can forage. Happy Cro.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...