Sunday 16 March 2014

The Sunday Recipe (gourmet special).



Take two hens both called Richard; pamper, and wait until eggs appear amongst the sweet smelling hay of their nesting boxes.

Crack shells very carefully, and gently drop contents into a small amount of hot olive oil. Fry until of desired consistency.

Say 'Oooh' and 'Aaah' whilst enthusing over the freshness and quality of Richard and Richard's gourmet eggs, before transferring to a well-loved plate, and anointing liberally with Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce. Consume accompanied by good quality buttered bread or toast.

There's nothing to compare to a fresh, home grown, simply fried, hen's egg (or two); my occasional Sunday breakfast treat. 



13 comments:

  1. I do miss keeping my own hens for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the Lea and Perrin's is a must!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, aah - how I agree. I see that, like my hens, the yolks are a glorious golden yellow. Never tried the Lee and Perrins, but shall now do so!. Dare I tell you though that I like my eggs fried both sides so that they appear like leather? But agree about the freshly buttered toast - essential for me and none of that margarine rubbish. Love the plate colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. Lovely eggs. I like fried tomatoes with my fried egg.. I opened a new bottle of Lea & Perrins last night. Couldn't live without the thin sauce as we used to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I love good eggs. And in the summer, nothing beats fresh tomato slices on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh eggs....the best. Although Cro....I like my eggs fried hard as the soles of your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I like my biscuits a bit blackened on the bottom.

      Delete
  7. Funny thing having hens, you either have an abundance of eggs or none at all,at the moment we are in the latter stage but friends love it as they get some fresh laid eggs.I love making Pavlova and Lemon meringue pies with our eggs they seem to make a difference,we always have some hard boiled ones in the fridge for lunches etc.Have never had a go at doing the liquid preserving that I have read of in the "old days" they say the eggs would keep just like fresh for up to 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother used to preserve ours in something called icinglass or isinglass (?).

      Delete
  8. Yummmm...with a nice runny yolk to dip my toast in. I envy you those lovely fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. simple pleasures are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The freshest of eggs, nothing better! I love their names. I now have a rooster named "Mr. Carol". Oops.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...