Tuesday 4 March 2014

The Oldies Lunch 2014.



On her first day back from London Lady Magnon (with friend Saint Theresa of the Floral Tribute) attended this year's Old Folks Lunch up at the Mayor's Parlour. They gorged themselves on soup, paté au foie gras, crudités, poule au pot, salad, cheese, ice cream with apricots, and champagne. Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch; there is here, and apparently it was delicious.

As it was also 'Grandmother's Day' here in France, she came away with this delightfully colourful gift.


I didn't go to this year's bash (I'm too young anyway). It's held in a room where the acoustics are just dreadful. Sound bounces around as if one's in a specially designed echo chamber, and I can't hear a word anyone says. You can just imagine what it's like after they've all had their first few glasses of wine!

I stayed at home and partook of ye olde thinne gruelle.

It has been suggested that because of 'administrative changes' this could be our village's very last 'Repas des Ainés'. I do hope not, but I wish in future they'd hold it in summer, and preferably OUTDOORS.


11 comments:

  1. Would Lady M be happy with you implying that she is an 'old folk', Cro? If not, make sure you wear your hard hat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've both accepted that we're old fogies; a fact of life.

      Delete
  2. But you are a younger old fogey? I think you could be in trouble with the grandson tamer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That background noise becomes so annoying when we enter our old fogey stage of life. I find myself doing a lot of smiling and nodding when I am in a noisy restaurant. This is another reason to look forward to spring where eating outdoors is a wonderful option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thin gruel for your lunch? Yeh, right! (Hate echoing, noisy rooms too and I'm not even an old fogey.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be a shame if such a nice tradition died out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't bear echoing rooms either - can't hear anyone. Being deaf and missing half of the conversation most of the time has lead me to think that most of what is said doesn't matter much anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll echo the echoing room theme. Our town hall has two such rooms they rent out for events; the noise barrier keeps me away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That plant is so pretty....it looks too perfect to be real. Is it an African Violet?
    I can't bear lots of background noise anymore, and echoing rooms are the worst. Maybe that's one reason I'm such a hermit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this is the reason they invented hanging tapestries.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...