Sunday 23 March 2014

French 'girlie' Singers; a Sunday Special.




Have you ever wondered why French (female) pop songs/singers never make it beyond the French borders (other than in one or two very rare exceptions) ?

There are only two requirements to become a French female singer. You must be able to breathe/whisper/hiss (roughly in tune, but not essential), and you must try to look as if you're about 13 years old.

This business of breathing words into a microphone is unbelievably annoying. I imagine the French find it 'sexy', but personally I find it pathetic. And as for looking as if they're still wearing Pampers, I can't imagine anything less attractive.

French pop music lost the plot back in the 70's. Personally I blame Serge Gainsbourg and Lady Magnon's old school chum Jane Birkin.

They made singing amateurish and sloppy; and the French have never looked back; even claiming this unattractive pair as national icons.

Gainsbourg did write one or two reasonable songs, but his legacy is one of drunkenness, naughtiness, and of 'speaking and slurring' his lyrics. La Birkin's legacy is simply of having been his muse!

What more perfect example of this 'musical genre', than their own product; the lovely 'whispering' Charlotte.



23 comments:

  1. I got bored with that song less than half way through! Have a fun Sunday…raining here…damp dog walk is on the cards soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Spitting' here; neither one thing nor t'other.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and re the song; ghastly isn't it. And it's one of her better ones.

      Delete
  2. Give me
    Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep
    Any day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... or the Birdie Song (I'm flapping my elbows up and down as I write).

      Delete
  3. Went to a similar evening here last night - such songs are not limited to France Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have given this matter a lot of thought and decided that - on balance - I would giver her one despite the petulant whispering. I could never watch any film with Audrey Tautou in it, just because of that smirky expression and improbably large eyes. I'd give her one as well though, if the (legal) opportunity presented itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather like Tautou. You can have Charlotte, and I'll have Audrey.

      Delete
  5. I always wanted to be like that but never quite pulled it off....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe our very own Tina Arena is popular over your way. Aussies are a class act ;)

    Breathtakingly sublime...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWchW5j3us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least she actually 'sings'. Not my tasse de thé.

      Delete
  7. Good morning, Cro: The last film I tried to watch w/Charlotte in it - well I had to stop watching. I'm getting too ... was going to say old.. but I think it's just that I don't need that sort of thing in my field of vision and in my brain anymore. Re: that breathy singing - it's okay in small doses. And Jane Birkin -my favorite perfume was made with her in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If French singers make it over the east border they are those that are different... Patricia Kaas, Zaz... But Joe le taxi was a hit here, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Joe' was a fun song, and a hit the world over.

      Delete
  9. I made 22 seconds of that video. See what you mean and deffo not one to interest women I would have thought!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, that whole whipering, breathy thing gets old with me fast. As Weaver said, it's not just in France, although they may have been pushing it as a la mode a lot sooner than other places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She has asthma. You lot are cruel. the family as suffered enough.
    Tom I'd get an inhaler for her before I gave her one. She is fit, though she isn't a singer more a wheezer. I'd still risk it as I'm a dirty old geezer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am not sure that my two favourite female French singers come within your criteria however they are Edith Piaf R.I.P. and Mireille Mathieu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both 'belters', Heron. Big voices.

      Delete
  13. Methinks a Magnon doth protest too much !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...