Friday 26 July 2024

Summer Bedroom


I have now moved my sleeping arrangements from the house to 'The Tower' as I do most summers. It's a very friendly little building, with a large sliding glazed double door looking out over tranquil countryside.  

We built it in 2010, with most of the work being done by ourselves. I had a builder put up the original blockwork, then the rest was done by Lady M and myself; including all the exterior rendering and interior plastering. I've still not yet painted the interior.


I had never built a whole roof before. From visiting the sawmill to ordering the hand-made tiles, all was new to me. We needed ceiling timbers (see photo), and we needed the wood for the roof structure itself. Those ceiling timbers are all solid Oak (the main beam had to be lifted into place with a tractor), and the roof structure was Chestnut which we hauled up manually. All design work was done on the back of an envelope, and I only made one mistake which was soon rectified.

My proudest bit of the whole construction is that decorative bit at the top of the wall and the bottom of the roof. It is called a 'Genoise' here, and brings the roof out beyond the wall. Again I simply worked out how to do it by 'thinking' about it.



We have now run a temporary electrical wire into the tower to feed a bedside lamp, otherwise it is still without any mod-cons.

It is one of delights of the Summer, moving into the tower. It's what we built it for, and it serves its purpose beautifully. I lie in bed looking up at those Oak timbers and marvel at how I managed to do it all. 

The roof tiles are all hand-made 'peg tiles'; no nails, they simply rest on the laths.

Being in there at night doesn't make me sleep any better, and of course I don't have my internet radio to listen to (too far from the Router). But it's a lovely place to be, and we shall remain there until Kimbo and Susie come next month. They book it in advance!

30 comments:

  1. Looks ideal for hot nights. Hope your bruising has subsided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still several aches and pains I'm afraid. I don't 'heal' as I used to!

      Delete
  2. That looks so nice, what a wonderful job you've both done on it. I'm sure I would sleep like a log in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people do, it has a lovely atmosphere.

      Delete
  3. I think it's perfect, it's like posh camping. A snug secluded hideaway where one can escape to. I think I will sleep in my summerhouse tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exactly that; posh camping, but the walls are not canvas, and the bed isn't filled with air.

      Delete
  4. I am afraid that I would be unhappy without electricity and proper plumbing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electricity is just temporary, and the plumbing just a short walk away across the lawn. You'd soon get used to it.

      Delete
  5. But ... are there spiders???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always give the room a REALLY GOOD spraying, then close the door for a couple of days. No, no spiders.

      Delete
  6. What an idyllic hideaway! Like potty, I would be somewhat concerned about lack of plumbing, but wasn't that what the old-fashioned "guzunder" was for!
    Lack of plumbing reminds me of a story my late father-in-law used to tell. As a young child (and a city boy) in Scotland, he was taken along on visits to very rural patients by his Grandfather who was a doctor. Wishing to "spend a penny" and seeing only empty countryside everywhere, he asked Grandpa where the nearest "convenience" was, to which Grandpa replied "Och, it's all around ye laddie!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right too. The French have a very healthy attitude to such things.

      Delete
  7. It must be such a good feeling - to sleep in a structure you pretty much built yourself. To fulfil your news and music needs, there's a new-fangled invention called "the transistor radio". Maybe you should treat yourself to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think a transistor would pick-up a signal from my internet connection. And I'm certainly not going to listen to French radio; it's dreadful.

      Delete
    2. You should be able pick up a couple of BBC channels if you fiddle with the dial sufficiently. Maybe you will hear an announcement that war has been declared on Germany.

      Delete
    3. I find The BBC World Service very boring. My favourite was always Radio 4 Extra, but alas......

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hello again Weave. Yes it really is a lovely room, and filled with some treasured antiques. I've spent the morning trying to install a more permanent Electrical supply.

      Delete
  9. You could listen to podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the Laptop? I'm not sure if the signal would reach that far. I would need an ethernet cable.

      Delete
  10. I can understand why you would like in bed and admire your work. You both did a lovely job. How nice to have such a place for your summer repose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have a huge Mozzie net over the bed, but Lady M didn't like it. Thank goodness no Mozzies this year so far.

      Delete
  11. Building it yourself leaves special feeling about the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days we're both amazed that we actually did it. I wouldn't dream of doing it again.

      Delete
  12. You designed and built a beautiful tower. It looks perfect to me. To deal with bruises, try Arnica cream (available via Amazon). It worked well for me when I twisted my ankle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cream I've just ordered contains Arnica; as well as several other things. My fingers are crossed.

      Delete
  13. It looks amazing, I do love a nice oak beam. Is it much cooler in The Tower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sleep on top of the duvet/sheet. Very cool, and relaxing. The tower is insulated so it's never too hot.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...