Monday 15 July 2024

Books.

 


The half dozen shelves in the spare bedroom, that we amusingly call our 'Library', contain some surprisingly good books. Where many of them came from I have no idea, but most are ones that Lady M and myself have accumulated over the decades.

My intention this Summer had been to read some Dickens, but I have been seduced by D H Lawrence, Anton Chekov, Noel Coward, and a few other notables. I've even been re-reading one or two of my own offerings.

I'm currently reading a very large paperback book of Noel Coward's 'Short Stories', but the type face is VERY small (above), and it is extremely tiring to read. In fact I'm thinking of abandoning Mr Coward; I'm finding his writing style too heavy going. He seems to have written just for the sake of writing, and forgets the reader. 

Anyway, I've mostly been reading other 'Short Stories', as one can put them down and take up again without losing any plot. The sort of books one might take on holiday.

Before coming to France, Lady M bought an old favourite; Graham Greene's 'Travels with my Aunt'. It's a book we both read many years ago, and with our current connection with Brighton, and the church, and the Dog show, we thought it would be fun to read again. I'm loving it.


17 comments:

  1. I loved Travels with my Aunt. I've read it a few times but I'd read it again. It's much better than some of his other books. I've been listening to Somerset Maugham on audio books. Well told tales and I like the old images he brings up but they tail off. No strong endings.
    I have a small library of my own. A few shelves of well read books. I enjoy having books I love around me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travels with my Aunt might be seen as a bit 'risky' these days with Wordsworth always speaking in patios. But it's a great book. We lent our previous copy to someone (great mistake) and it never came back. I'm pleased we have the new copy. I love Somerset Maugham too.

      Delete
  2. It's a long time since I read any Graham Greene and I can't even recall whether I've read TWMA. Come to think of it I'm rather ashamed to say that I've read very little in the last few years. Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a good writer; his reputation is merited. I seem to be reading a lot more in recent years; maybe I have more free time, although it doesn't seem like it.

      Delete
  3. I have this book at home, among the dozens of books I can't give up. I think I'll be back to read it soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at the book now, also in the Hebrew copy, the letters are very small, and to my surprise I discovered from reading the back of the book that the aunt I always thought was very old is actually more or less our age now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The descriptions of Brighton are all quite accurate and many of the hotels, bars, etc, that he mentions are still there.

      Delete
  5. Seduced by D.H.Lawrence? Did he wine and dine you and roll you over in the long grass that now surrounds the old tobacco barn? Have you read "Brighton Rock"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I still have the Daisy Chain.
      I have indeed read Brighton Rock, but never really liked the characters in it.

      Delete
  6. It will soon be time for a library visit, let me see if my local has this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You being a traveler would probably enjoy it. It has it's moments.

      Delete
  7. Summer reading is always a good past time. Summer reading mixed with a dip in the pool sounds ideal. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% RIGHT. The mix between culture and entertainment is perfect for Summer. I think that's what most people aspire to.

      Delete
  8. Sometimes you just need a bit of froth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've both been in the froth recently; that's when I return to my crosswords.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. 'Pool time' has been a bit hit-n-miss recently; I'm hoping that now our weather is looking a bit more stable.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...