Wednesday 31 July 2024

Decline and Fall.


You can probably see by the state of this book that it's been read many many times; mostly by me. The book is dated 1937, so it was pre-owned even before it came my way. I first read it when I was still at school, probably around 1963.


Decline and Fall, by Evelyn Waugh, is amongst my top 10 favourite books. I cannot tell you how many times I've read it. It describes a world I know extremely well, both as pupil and teacher; although my experiences are nothing like the ones in the book.

For me it's a 'laughing out loud' book. It is very funny from beginning to end.

The main character, Paul Pennyfeather, was unfairly sent-down from Oxford, where he had been 'reading for the church', and takes the only job available to such disgraced gentlefolk; teaching in a boys private school in N Wales; probably near Trelawnyd (it does mention being close to Llandudno). His adventures begin!

I think this may be the final time I read my crumbling edition. It's really is about to fall to bits. I must remember to buy a new edition.

Waugh is a good story-teller, and his humour is second to none. If you're looking for a fun read, then this might well fit the bill. Enjoy.

 

12 comments:

  1. You need to take your copy to The Repair Shop ! The guy who repairs books/paper is amazing. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read it years ago, and now you've spiked my interest to read it again. I'm sure I'll be able to buy it on Amazon for my Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very funny book, I literally find myself laughing out loud.

      Delete
  3. Looks like your copy of "Decline and Fall" has suffered its own decline and fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has declined and fallen, this time definitively.

      Delete
  4. Amazon has it in softcover and Kindle, I needed something to read on the plane tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget to mention that it does contain some very non-PC sections.

      Delete
  5. It sounds very good and I will seek it out. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A classic which I've never read. Another one for my list to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a classic, perhaps a little old-fashioned, but still a very good read. It's a stinker here, our pool water is 30 C.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...