Monday 24 July 2023

Tourin.


I mentioned recently that we were to visit a nearby farm restaurant, it is the only one I know of (locally) that continues in the old traditions of local cuisine. We are very lucky to have it just a 10 minute drive away.

This soup, called Tourin is a case in point. It is very much a local South/West dish, and is something I've prepared at home ever since I first discovered it 50 years ago. It is very rare to find it on a restaurant menu. Far too 'common'.


It's basically a good Chicken or Duck stock made with plenty of garlic, to which is added stale Sourdough bread. It cannot be made with sliced 'Mother's Pride'. A sprinkling of grated cheese adds to the delight. The bread becomes gelatinous and silky, and the cheese stringy.


It is such a simple soup, and obviously comes from days of serious poverty in the countryside. It is quite possibly the origin of the famous 'French onion soup', which is a more sophisticated version.

We had a really delicious meal on Saturday. Wine came with the menu, and when the first bottle was consumed, it was instantly replenished. After plenty of Magret and Confit and Pommes de terre Sarladaises, we ate a delicious home baked Clafoutis, then cheese. The whole meal was surprisingly inexpensive, and was a delight from beginning to end. It is now, without question, our favourite local restaurant. 

If only I could say the same about other local eateries!

 

24 comments:

  1. There are so many good things around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my reasons for coming to live here was having read a book by Philip Oyler called 'The Generous Earth'. Everything he described in the book was true.

      Delete
  2. Sounds divine but, oof, I doubt I could have managed to get through the last two courses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We returned home extremely well fed. We couldn't have eaten more! A classic 5 course meal.

      Delete
  3. Did the proprietor bring a cake to your table with 77 candles burning in it? And did the assembled diners join in with a lusty rendition of "Happy Birthday To You!" ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always hated bread in my soup, perhaps I'm just too picky, certainly my parents and older sister loved it. I prefer my bread dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the right type of bread it becomes really delicious. It wouldn't work with most breads.

      Delete
  5. The peasant food is always full of flavour. They knew how to dine well on what they could find around them. Your tourin looks marvellous. I can understand why you'd consider it a favourite eating place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's only a couple of other restaurants nearby now. One sells foam and flowers, the other is a 'hot water bath', boil in the bag, place. Neither of which I would honour with my presence.

      Delete
  6. I don't eat out often now as I am more or less housebound but certainly around here some restaurants have remained good but many have gone down hill. Is it the same in France?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to be able to 'eat like kings' almost everywhere. These days you're lucky to find a good restaurant. It's partly the government's fault, but also there's too much 'corner cutting'; they all want an easy life.

      Delete
  7. The soup looks delightful,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a fan of soggy bread, but the rest sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does rather sound just like 'soggy bread', but you'd have to taste it to appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. Your B-day meal sounds like perfection. 2 bottles of wine make it even better... Our restaurants are in decline too. Quality is a problem and the cost increases another 10-20% at each visit. I am noticing fewer and fewer people at restaurants. I need to find a good farm to table restaurant. I know they exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love this one, I'm sure. It's how all country restaurants should be.

      Delete
  10. Tourin sounds wonderful to me... and I love sourdough bread! It did remind me of French Onion soup, but I think I might like Tourin even better. How wonderful to have that place close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In London I worked next door to a very famous restaurant, and my boss occasionally took me there for a lunchtime French Onion Soup. It was superb, and probably influenced the rest of my life.

      Delete
  11. Happy (Belated) Birthday, dear Cro! You sound like you had a divine birthday knees-up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pip. Yes, we had a wonderful evening, and will go again next week.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...