Sunday 21 August 2016

The William Cobbett.


                            The William Cobbett in Farnham

My favourite pub' when I was a student was The William Cobbett, in Farnham Surrey (above).

It was a popular evening haunt of art students; lunch times being spent in pubs within closer staggering distance, back to the college.

I have several memories of The Cobbett, some good, others rather shameful.

My friend S and I used to play a very naughty game over a few pints. We would discuss the merits of famous and obscure painters; occasionally throwing into the discussion an entirely fictional character just to see who would agree with our observations about him/her. It was surprising how often the bait was taken..... we never revealed the truth. Naughty boys.

One of my better memories was attending 'An Audience With' comedienne Fenella Fielding in an upstairs room. Lady Magnon was heavily pregnant at the time, and after laughing her way through the whole evening, went into hospital where our first son was subsequently born a couple of hours later. Thank you Ms Fielding; your assistance was appreciated.

I also remember that my favourite drink at the time was a mix of draught Guinness and Cider; something I would have difficulty drinking today.

A nice old pub.

p.s. In honour of the great man I bought (and read) Cobbett's 'Rural Rides'.... I wasn't terribly impressed.



24 comments:

  1. Yes, draught Guinness and cider, called black velvet locally, a lethal mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; I'd forgotten the name. A horrible drink, but I like both separately.

      Delete
    2. I remember it from my days as a barmaid. It took great skill to pour that drink.

      Delete
    3. And even more skill to drink it.

      Delete
  2. Fenella Fielding. I wish I had seen her perform...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was hilarious; but it was rather sad to see her performing in a small room above a pub'.

      Delete
  3. Our student drinking hole was The Stag and Hound's which looked very similar to The William Cobbett ! My tipple of choice was vodka and lime or vodka and black ...... something that I haven't drunk since I was 19 ..... just as bad as a black velvet !! Am out to the pub { The King's Head } for Sunday lunch ...... a nice glass of red will accompany roast beef today ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your lunch; I can't remember the last time I had Roast Beef.

      Delete
    2. I don't eat beef very often ..... only when I go out for Sunday lunch .... I might have lamb !!
      ..... I always loved Fenella Fielding. XXXX

      Delete
  4. Had to check on Google, I've been in error thinking that Black Velvet was Guinness & Champagne. With cider could be called poor man's B. V. or Snakebite. All in all I'd prefer them separate, but then I'm not a student or young anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you that it's a disgusting drink. Much better separately; as you suggest.

      Delete
    2. A snake bite was a vile mix of cider and lager.

      Delete
  5. Yes I liked that pub, but eventually settled in at the Coach and Horses for some reason, where I gained the reputation for downing bottles of Russian Stout without (outwardly) showing signs of staggering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a student who worked at the Coach and Horses who used to make me the most wonderful Beef Sandwiches. They were about an inch thick with Beef. I think she fancied me!!!

      Delete
  6. What was it that triggered this jaunt down memory lane?
    For unknown reasons, I feel as though you could be intimidating to women, especially in your younger days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I suddenly thought of it, other than the person 'S' (who I mentioned) is staying with us at the moment.

      Delete
  7. Isn't Guinness and cider called a Black Velvet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 'poor man's' Black velvet I think, as Potty states above.

      Delete
  8. Ah I've got a post planned aboutyvfavourite student pub too. Great minds...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like as good a way as any to start in labour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I loved Fenella Fielding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do wish we had pubs like that in Canada. Guinness and cider sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...