Saturday 10 April 2010

A home is not a home without a gnome.


Some gnomes are good; some gnomes are bad. The above pig-riding gnome was a Christmas present from my youngest son to Lady Magnon. I think he was about 6 at the time.

The poor old thing is now weather beaten and peeling. He has developed 'patina', and has changed from being your average pond-side fishing gnome, to being almost an antique.

Of course he has his detractors, but I like him; not so much because he's an ear-grabbing, pork-mounted, dwarf, but because he has history.

p.s. All plastic gnomes should be shot.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. That's the cutest gnome I'v ever seen! hey, I didn't know they did gnomes in france too! You know Cro I'm afraid I like you better now that I know you have a messy office??It's kinda like my daughter says , she can't be friends with someone til she's seen their house messy.
    Have a lovely week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one on the piggy has a sort of Han Dynasty quality about it. I don't know when gnomes started, but I have restored stone ones dating from around 1750 - quite often playing bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that most of the very expensive stone antique gnomes are German.... but before that?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...