Friday 5 January 2024

Wrongly accused.


Could there be anything worse than firstly being accused of something you didn't do, and then being found guilty.

The very worst case of such miscarriage of justice recently took place in the UK, and involved over 700 Post Office managers/workers.

Back in 1999, a new and faulty Japanese computer system found that 736 sub-postmasters were guilty of having committed theft, false accounting, or fraud. They all declared their innocence, but were found guilty. Up until today just 83 have had their convictions overturned.

I do have experience of such appalling injustice myself. In my final weeks of school a friend had given my name, having been caught doing something that was definitely against school rules. I was called to the headmaster's study; and, without any questions, instantly sacked. When the truth was known I was recalled to see the headmaster and he apologised. My friend was quite naturally sacked in my stead.

In my particular case I took no notice of my punishment as I knew there had been some silly mistake, and I simply ignored both it and the headmaster. But these sub-postmasters were not so lucky; they have suffered years of prison sentences, bankruptcy,  and there's even been one case of suicide. As you can see by my illustration, 33 people have since died without having had their names cleared.

It may be that amongst the 736 accusations of fraud, one or two may have been guilty, but there is no question that the huge majority were 100% innocent of any malpractice.

A really dreadful case of the law being an complete ass! I hope that they all receive extremely generous compensation; they deserve it.

The matter has recently been the subject of an ITV drama 'Mr Bates v The Post Office'.


19 comments:

  1. yes, I watched that programme. Mr. Bates, played brilliantly by Toby Jones. Inconceivable that such a thing could happen and drag on for all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's the worst case of misjustice in UK history. Dreadful.

      Delete
  2. I've been watching this series on TV too, it's really good. So shocking that this could happen, blimey, who'd work for the Post Office now?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing worse that being accused of something you didn't do. The Post Office is now almost a spent force, but we do still need them for a few things.

      Delete
  3. https://theconversation.com/mr-bates-vs-the-post-office-depicts-one-of-the-uks-worst-miscarriages-of-justice-heres-why-so-many-victims-didnt-speak-out-220513?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Latest+from+The+Conversation+for+January+5+2024+-+2841128806&utm_content=Latest+from+The+Conversation+for+January+5+2024+-+2841128806+CID_4ec4710a16d4e3a6fefe97133b911d95&utm_source=campaign_monitor_uk&utm_term=Mr+Bates+vs+The+Post+Office+depicts+one+of+the+UKs+worst+miscarriages+of+justice+heres+why+so+many+victims+didnt+speak+out&fbclid=IwAR1fZJNrmIA0KxztgWN3FvieBMErOLq2idNbTr-aSq-vyX9GOtcBzLGugVU

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I read something similar before writing the above. One of the worst aspects of the case is that each of the accused was told that they were 'the only one' who had been found to have discrepancies. That really was appalling.

      Delete
  5. I also watched all of Mr. Bates v The Post Office and remember when it all happened at the time { and is still going on } Apparently there were four suicides, many were bankrupt and so many suffered with their health because of it and many went to prison. Just dreadful. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I read about the circumstances, the more I'm appalled.

      Delete
  6. There seems to be a lack of people willing to stand up and admit they have made a mistake. Character, backbone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No-one is prepared to take the blame. They will in time, but it would be better to see them admit blame themselves.

      Delete
  7. I also hope the wrongly accused and their family members get huge compensation for the grave injustice done here. The days of completely believing any decision handed down are long gone. Question everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone wants 'compensation' these days, but this is a case where it's really warranted.

      Delete
  8. I don't remember this happening (we'd left the UK by then) but saw the trailer and meant to watch it, but completely forgot. I expect it will be shown again.
    The whole thing is an appalling miscarriage of justice and it's a disgrace that the whole affair is being strung out for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a total disgrace for the UK legal system. We seem to be either far too lax, or completely wrong.

      Delete
  9. I hope it is not true and will try to verify whether yay or nay but some source stated that their modest compensation will be taxed. I would be homicidal if I was in their situation.. Trusting a computer when so many honest people's reputations livelihoods and freedom was at stake is beyond criminal. And we live in a world where people can claim 7 figure sums for falling over

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually read a case where a women tripped ona poor marked step about 10 years ago. Ankle injury. Resulted in rare complication and amputation and other health issues. But £4 million compensation. Should have been a tenth of this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They knew and carried on with it. For years.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...