Sunday 14 January 2024

Good News.


I would like to congratulate The Labour Party; and Starmer in particular.

Since Sir Keir Starmer took over Labour's leadership from the delightful Jeremy Corbyn, there haven't been very many concrete policies; just plenty of poisoned arrows fired at the ruling Tories. However, their supporters have been eagerly waiting to hear what they'll be voting for when the next general election comes along later this year.

But all that has now changed, and at last Sir Keir has come-up with a manifesto policy that I think all parties will support; maybe even the Greens.

He wants to pass a law that will make children brush their teeth twice a day.

Now, the political advantage of this new policy is obvious. Cleaner teeth, less halitosis, and no bits of Spinach staring at you every time they scowl. As far as international politics are concerned, a population of children with clean teeth should certainly improve relationships with the Middle East; and might even help cope with the post-Covid economy .

However, some of the more radical members of The National Union of Teachers are already criticising Sir Keir. "Teachers are not there to teach children to brush their teeth" said one disgruntled teacher "that is their parents' job". Maybe they'll go on strike again!

Starmer rightly accuses the Tories of 14 years of non-child-tooth-brushing, and has made it a serious policy to introduce children's Breakfast Clubs where tooth-brushing will be taught and monitored. How on earth did the Tories think they could get away with not promoting their own tooth-brushing policy? They've had 14 years for goodness sake!

Well done Labour!

6 comments:

  1. Actually, I wish such a policy had been in place during my childhood, I was largely left to take care of myself teeth-wise and didn't even have visit to a dentist until I was gone four. Hence by the age of 8 I'd had several teeth taken out and it took some time to dawn on me that brushing them was a good idea. I am now fanatical about it, now that it's too late but happily I do still have nearly all my teeth with a few heavy fillings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was first taken to a dentist at 16 when I commenced having teeth taken out. I started having the damage put right 7 years ago and several thousand pounds later I now have a full complement of teeth again. I did clean my teeth but mother thought dentists were unnecessary.

      Delete
    2. I wish I could say the same. I had a terrible experience with a dentist when I was very young and it has affected me ever since. I have dreadful teeth, and cannot face the idea of visiting a dentist; even if I could find one!

      Delete
    3. My experiences between about 16 and 25 were terrible. I now have a lovely S.African dentist who put everything right for me. He said that none of it should have happened and it was all bad dentristry.

      Delete
  2. Toothbrushing wasn't promoted in my family either, both my parents had terrible teeth and both had complete dentures in their thirties. After decades of dental repairs where the teeth still crumbled or broke around the fillings, I now have mostly denture with a few bottom teeth still remaining. I made sure to teach my kids about brushing from age one and now they all still have great teeth in their forties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My late mother had terrible teeth (that's where I inherited mine), and at a certain age her dentist recommended that she have them all out and have dentures instead. She always said it was the worst decision of her life!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...