Saturday 6 January 2024

RIP Glynis Johns.

 

During certain of my school-days holidays, both my parents were very busy, and I ate my daily lunches alone at a small family run, very English, restaurant called 'The Spinning Wheel'; even the name itself tells you the type of restaurant it was.

The owner was a youngish man named Michael, and I believe my mother had asked him to put me on a table with any well known actors, working at the nearby Connaught Theatre. I suppose I must have been about 16.

The two I do remember lunching with every day (for a week) were Sarah Miles, and Glynis Johns.

Ms Miles was very beautiful, and I remember that she wore knee-length soft leather boots. She chatted a bit, but was not the ideal luncheon companion. We got-on OK, but that's about it.

Ms Johns, however, was an absolute treasure. She had a wonderfully evocative voice and was a perfect conversationalist. She was a total pleasure to spend an hour with over lunch. I really treasured those days. When our week of lunches together was over she even told me that she'd miss me; how about that!!!

I was really saddened to see that she has just died aged 100. She will be remembered mostly for her role as Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins. However, I shall remember her sitting opposite me at The Spinning Wheel restaurant. Her father was the equally well-known actor Mervyn Johns.

So, goodbye Glynis; our paths crossed all too briefly, but I shall never forget you. xx

20 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Sarah Miles and the FABULOUS Glynis Johns. I was mesmerizes by her, The voice her looks but also her name. Out here in the Wild West you do not hear that name often. To a young Arizona desert dweller it was lovely.
    What a wonderful memory you have.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bore my wife crazy but re-telling the story on every occasion possible, but what a lovely person she was.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful childhood memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How marvellous for a 16 year old boy to lunch with a captivating woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the others I sat with were men, and not nearly so interesting.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful lunch companion.
    She was an excellent actress, and how incredible that she lived a complete century!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story you have to tell. I remember her from Mary Poppins, A little Night Music and she also played Diane's mother in Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked 'Cheers', I haven't seen it for years. I don't actually remember her being in it.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely memory Cro ...... I think her films have followed me throughout my life. The first film I remember her in was The Card with Alec Guinness and I think she had a very small part in The Thief of Bagdad.I loved those two films. She had an amazing career and such a long one, working from the age of 15 until she was in her late 70's. Sarah Miles must have been an unusual dining companion ... she was rather odd and drank her own urine ! Hope she wasn't doing that when having lunch with you ?!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No she wasn't, but I found her rather 'self-centered'. She probably would have preferred to dine alone. Ms Johns, however, was totally the opposite, and was very happy to have my company; as I was to have hers.

      Delete
  7. A great experience that has stayed with you for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I only thought about it again when I heard that she'd died.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet story. Thank you for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to wonder if your mother felt you were bound to be an actor and she wanted you to have exposure to them while having your meal? You do certainly have fond memories of Ms. Johns and your meals together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother had been a very good actress, and always retained her interest in theatre. I've been in a few films, but only acted on stage once.... I wasn't very good.

      Delete
  10. I knew the name but had to read the newspaper to recall the movie I remember her from. Mary Poppins of course! Sad that she is gone now, but she made it to 100!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was never amongst the very big names, but her face was well known; and that voice of hers was wonderful.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...