Wednesday 14 January 2015

Have horse, will travel.


                                   

Above is Cro with two of the Magnon-ettes; Kimbo and Tenpin, back in about 1976 (?).

I sometimes wonder if I haven't some Gypsy blood in me. The above was a friend's wagon, but I remember very much wishing it was mine.

The idea of just going where the horse takes you is very appealing. Stopping on quiet back roads, having no deadlines, and being totally independent of officialdom is a dream that many would aspire to, given the opportunity.

Our friend had travelled from London down through France, and above is the wagon (an Irish 'open lot') parked behind our barn. He encountered no animosity whatsoever en route. Had he been a 'white van traveller' he probably would have been 'moved on' several times. It's the romance of a horse drawn wagon that makes people friendly.

His horse, Joe, was an ex London rag-n-bone man's nag. A Welsh Cob that responded perfectly to word of mouth. Whilst with us I hitched him up to our old pony trap, and he performed as if he was born to it.

Sadly I shall never take to the road with crystal ball and pack of Tarot cards, but the idea is still very appealing. I look at the above photo with a certain nostalgia and longing.



16 comments:

  1. I don't think people have problems with gypsies that move on. It does seem funny when you drive past this type of gypsy and you think they're still living that way of life.
    My wife had a gypsy lad in her class a few years ago and she way asking him about the different types, "romany, irish" and then she asked about the ones in horse drawn carts and he said"bloody hippies! "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my friend and his girlfriend would have come under that category. His girlfriend (very nice) was Anthony Wedgewood-Benn's niece.

      Delete
  2. You can see why Toad was enamoured. I loved the film Danny - Champion of the World -they lived in a beautiful caravan. The idea of fitting your life into such a small space and taking off is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely photo.
    It's the 'being free of officialdom' that appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photo. My husband had friends who had two wagons which were pointed towards each other, steps close together, when they settled. They had a horse that needed breaking, but because of injury couldn't start backing it. My (then boyfriend) offered my services. When I met the 18 hand two year and was told that they didn't use saddles I deferred !
    I remember that they used evaporated milk in their tea and two large sugars. I can taste it now !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know why but to me old photos bring sadness instead of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good photo - including your get-up. Mr Toad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exactly how I feel Cro - although having done a lot of research into my family history I can find no gypsyblood.
    But I get such a thrill now that I live on the route to the Appleby Horse Fair and plenty of travellers go through here each year with their caravans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it's something you've always wanted to do then why not do it? Just for a few weeks even? Summer holiday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did actually try to buy a wagon, a few years back, but the owner refused to sell; preferring to let it rot.

      Delete
  9. We see these horse drawn wagons quite often in our Lot village. Somewhere in the vicinity is a place which rents them out for holidays...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photo . I've seen a few holidaymakers in lovely horse drawn caravans when we've holidayed in County Cork.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Back in 1976, wagons from all over the US came through our community on their way to camp at Valley Forge Park. It was the 200th anniversary of our country. It was quite a sight and I will remember it always.

    Most of us would love to go on that adventure that still burns in our soul. However, often the dream is better than the reality. But still......

    ReplyDelete
  12. tt looks just wonderful! My father's favourite poem was The Pedlars caravan, by William Brighty Rands,
    I am sorry he never got to see our caravan, he would have loved it. am often accused of having gipsy blood in me, for my love of moving house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one beautiful photo, Cro. One in which I'm sure your family takes measureless satisfaction. Raising, or growing up in, a family of individualists is a great adventure and the photo captures that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great a photo. When I was a kid, I was always wishing I could pack up and take off in a wagon like this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...