Tuesday 27 August 2024

Figs.


They are annoying little fruits, they always begin to ripen just as we're packing-up to head back to Blighty.


However, there are always a few early ripenings, but the majority hang-on until we've gone. I'm already eating a few each day, but there aren't enough to preserve, or make a Fig Tatin.

There is a large Fig tree in our street back home, and last year we ate quite a few, but I'm not sure if the weather has been kind enough to ripen them this year. We shall see.

Here I have FOUR very large Fig trees, and have previously bottled plenty for winter. I buy packs of commercially dried Figs through the year, and love them. Maybe we need to shift our French sojourn forwards by a month, then we would have more fruit, more mushrooms, and probably Chestnuts too.

Figs are a much derided fruit; if you don't have any they are always sought after, if you have loads they tend to be ignored.

 

16 comments:

  1. My father had a fig tree in his garden, but even in the mid-Sussex weald we struggled to get many figs from it most years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one in our street had ripe fruits last year, and another tree was planted in our local park where I walk with Billy every day; I shall be interested to see if it has any ripe fruit. I also had one in Shropshire, against a South facing wall, but they never ripened.

      Delete
  2. I'm getting many ripe figs here in Suffolk so Brighton should be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I've just looked at our trees here, and suddenly they're totally covered in ripe fruit.

      Delete
  3. I'm getting ripe figs here in Norfolk too, I absolutely love figs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had figs a month ago, big juicy ones that my nephew grows for market. Delicious. However the ones on the fig tree which hangs over our road are still very small and green. I think the tree needed water this hot summer.
    Shifting your french holiday forward a month sounds like something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so many good things usually arrive just after we've gone. Something we'll have to think about.

      Delete
  5. There is a big fig tree in the local museum gardens here where P volunteers. He mentioned that it had a lot of fruit that had already ripened and asked if I wanted some, which of course I did. When he went back to collect some they had all gone! The local residents obviously sneak into the gardens when the place is closed and carry out a scrumping mission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who can blame them. First come, first served!

      Delete
  6. Figuratively speaking, I don't care a fig!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For many a largely forgotten fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. People buy dried Figs at Christmas, and that's it.

      Delete
  8. I planted a small Brown Turkey fig tree the year after we bought this house. It's finally starting to really grow! I'm anxious for figs. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too, then all of a sudden you have millions of them.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...