Saturday 2 September 2023

The Plantation.


Before leaving France there is always one place that I have to visit; my friend José's biggest Chestnut plantation, which is just two hundred metres from our front door. I remember when he planted it, and I've watched it grow ever since.

I went quite early because I wanted to catch the sunrise coming through the trees. I'm afraid my cheap phone camera does not do the scene justice, but it gives an idea. The plantation runs for another 100 metres behind where I took the photo.

José and his daughter are one of the major Chestnut growers in the village, and what he doesn't know about them ain't worth knowing. I imagine that Chestnuts are now his major crop.


The nuts haven't yet started falling, but they won't be far off. I always love to see, and hear, their old machine (the diabolique) gathering the nuts. It makes a very particular sound, which sadly we won't hear this year.


I shall be taking a small jar of ready peeled and cooked local Chestnuts back with me for Christmas. So much more convenient than fresh.

 

24 comments:

  1. You captured the morning sun nicely. I tried hot roasted chestnuts once and didn't like them much, perhaps they are an acquired taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need to be eaten on a cold night, preferably around a fire. We eat very few; maybe a dozen or so a year!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever had a roasted chestnut. They don't sell them on street corners anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chestnuts don't keep, which is probably why 'half burning' them on street corners hid all the bad bits inside. I would never buy Chestnuts like that.

      Delete
  3. Are they also turned into Marron Glace, a favourite when I was a child. We must have had them as Xmas treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are usually made with a different variety (called Marrons). The ones above are Chataignes.

      Delete
  4. A lovely scene so close to your front door.
    We used to have a long handled chestnut roaster which we used to roast shop bought chestnuts over the fire in our old house. No fire here though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always used to boil mine. An X shape cut in the pointed end, and about 20 mins boiling, and they were delicious.

      Delete
  5. You managed to catch the gentle light of the sun. Here I have not seen such kind of nut trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plantation has a wonderful atmosphere. I go up there very often; it's where my best mushroom spot is.

      Delete
  6. A lovely final memory before you start your journey back to Blighty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I'm far too busy today to go up there.

      Delete
  7. How amazing that you were there when that plantation was planted! Trees grow so slowly - even sweet chestnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even remember the field when it had cows on it.

      Delete
  8. That plantation photograph has a beautiful sense of sernity. How can you bear to leave it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great spot to kick leaves when they all drop and it's frosty.

      Delete
  9. A wonderful photo of the plantation. We roast chestnuts over the fire now and again. Sometimes they're used in stuffing or cooked with meat. Not by me. The chestnut burner often turns up at winter festivals here and they seem quite popular. As grilled corn is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like them in stuffings. Usually I throw a handful in beside a roast, of almost any sort.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I find it quite magical, and having watched its growth over the years, I feel quite attached to it.

      Delete
  11. The early gentle sunlight surrounding the mature chestnut trees is beautiful. I hope you told the trees you'd be back next Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave them a goodbye hug. I'm a well known 'scrumper', so they'll be seeing me again.

      Delete
  12. A beautiful place to be quietly. You captured the light well enough, don't worry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a better phone camera, it was really beautiful.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...