Sunday 5 January 2020

Sir Edward Lear.



Lear is probably best known for his 'Nonsense Poems', but he was also a very fine draughtsman and painter.

In the mid-60's I managed an Art Gallery in London's Devonshire Street, and amongst our small stock of Lear's drawings and watercolours were several plain pencil sketches, from the mid-1800's, such as the above.

In those days Lear's drawings fetched far more if coloured than in plain pencil or pen, and most of ours were sent down to a man in Dorking Surrey (Bob someone) who would add muted watercolour highlights to otherwise planer work. 

I remember thinking at the time that this was some sort of sacrilege, but my boss insisted.

I do wish I'd bought some of them, but I think the same about many of the works that passed through my hands. I should have thought about it at the time; too late now.

p.s. This same Bob in Dorking would 'paint out' Cows from Victorian landscapes for us; they just weren't fashionable. He was very good at it too.



18 comments:

  1. Behind the scenes in the art business. Sounds incredible.
    Unfashionable cows?
    Interesting insights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised by some of the things that go on behind scenes. The gallery where I worked was 99% honest, but there's a lot of skullduggery about.

      Delete
    2. Didn’t Tim Keating get some of his fakes authenticated as genuine in Paris just to prove the point? Picasso is the most faked I believe.

      Delete
    3. A favourite scam is to put them for sale at a reputable saleroom, buy them yourself, then offer the catalogue as verification of authenticity when re-selling. If you see a 'Picasso' having been sold through Sotheby's, you wouldn't normally discute its being genuine!

      Delete
    4. I think I meant 'dispute'; I was breaking into French again.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems so wrong, messing about with another artist's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have bought them as plain drawings. It would have saved them!

      Delete
  4. Makes art a bit ‘ grubby ‘ I think ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 'Art as Business'. Anything to make a few extra bob.

      Delete
  5. It is still big business to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine so. If people like Bob are still around (and I'm sure they are), all sorts of 'changes' can be made!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...