Saturday 16 March 2013

The New Orchard.


There's nothing I enjoy more than planting fruit trees (other than photographing Lady Magnon's backside, of course).



I've always wanted to plant a really good sized orchard, but up until now our fruit trees have just been stuck-in wherever there was a suitable space.

However, since the purchase of our old tobacco drying barn (below), we now have room for a pukka job, and we've made a tentative start.

We planted two more trees yesterday. Above is a 'Bigarreau Van' cherry; an early-ish, very dark skinned, large variety, that comes highly recommended. We already have a 'Bigarreau Blanc', which is pale yellow but with a slight pink tinge.
  


And, above, is my favourite pear 'Conference'; a variety that requires no introduction. Our other pear is the famous 'Doyenne de Comice'. Pears are the most rewarding of trees.

Others already in, are a Brugnon (Nectarine), several Figs, and a few Peaches; all of unknown varieties.

The only other tree I wish to plant this year is a 'Golden Delicious' apple. People usually cringe when I mention this variety, but when home grown they tend to be much better than the ones you would otherwise buy in the supermarket. The mass produced 'Golden' tends to be tasteless and insipid; home grown they are crisp and flavoursome.

We are having to restrict our planting for the moment, as the 'bloody JCB man' will be coming soon to install a 'Fosse Septique' in the upper part of the orchard. Heaven help us!


Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. I only have a few fruit trees dotted about but once did attempt an orchard - the neighbouring sheep got in and proceeded to strip all the bark off the young trees only a Golden Delicious survived - and you are right - they do taste much better home grown. Good luck with your pears I have no luck with them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a fruit variety that is fatal to Parisians? You could maybe sneak a few of those in at locations prime for neighbourly scrumping ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfectly ripe Doyenne de Comice, nothing better. Juice down the chin. My favourite. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I love pears, figs and need some sunshine, I am daydreaming about sitting under some shade in your orchard in the future Cro......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top photo shows a great ass-pect :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMm, love those fruit trees! Homegrown apples are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father was a master of his fruit trees. Unfortunate for me, I did not inherit that desire or ability. I would love to try a yellow delicious apple, because you are right, I don't even entertain the ones in the grocery. I hope yours do well. I LOVE that old tobacco barn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to start our orchard afresh. The trees we inherited when we bought the place have definitely seen better days. However, orchards require a great deal of care and the past few years we've not spent nearly as much time in France as hoped. Best of luck with yours -- it looks like a perfect place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love planting fruit trees as well. I must admit that my mouth waters just thinking of the fruit to come! Conference pear may be a boring and well know varitity but it's well know for a good reason, it's a great tasting pear! I like the blog.
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  10. To a person brought up in the fruit fly infested sub-tropics where nothing can be done to produce fruit unspoilt by fruit fly the thought of home grown fruit and orchards is delightful. We can and do grow passionfruit and harvest and freeze the produce to use in desserts and cakes but those images in my imagination of shady orchards and apple blossom are another magnet to draw me over there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ....and I've NEVER picked an apple (or anything else except a mango ) off a tree and eaten it ! How lovely that must be !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter lives in QLD, and all her fruit is eaten by Parrakeets or Lorrakeets or Parrots.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...