Wednesday 2 August 2023

Some things that I really enjoy.


I was on my way home from the supermarket the other morning, and thought to myself that driving slowly through the peaceful French countryside, windows down, sunlight breaking through the trees, and with the temperature just beginning to rise above 20 C, was just about the most luxurious thing I could imagine doing. The car was filled with delicious things I'd just bought, the distinctive aroma of the French countryside was wafting through the car, and everything seemed perfect.

Previously at the store, in the queue for the check-out, I'd had a conversation with a woman about pool chemicals, and thought to myself how satisfying it is to be able to speak two very different languages fluently. 

Like most men in Summer, I love to cook on the BBQ. I suppose it makes us feel like a cave-man back from the hunt; slapping lumps of Mammoth meat on an open fire, which I did last night (it was actually Lamb). Very satisfying.

Another thing that I find hugely enjoyable out here in France is mushroom hunting. Heading off to the woods early in the morning, with the anticipation of a good haul, is such a pleasure. Finding that haul is even more so. It's one of the things I really look forward to when we return to our little home. It was pouring yesterday morning (below), so another crop of Girolles is almost assured; maybe even a few Cèpes in 10 days time.

But amongst all pleasures there are often disappointments. Eating out in France used to be wonderful. Almost every restaurant one visited was excellent; they dared not offer poor quality cooking; they wouldn't have lasted a week. These days things are very different, and finding a really good traditional restaurant isn't easy. However, we do still have one nearby and we frequent it as often as possible. We went for my recent birthday.

I'm not one for smothering myself in oils and lying in the sun. I prefer to be busy, or swimming, or taking Billy for a walk. Billy is another thing to add to my list of pleasures. I've loved all my dogs, and they've all had very different characters. Billy is slightly aloof, very independent, and not really very interested in food. I've been trying to train him to come to me when I call him, but without any interest in 'treats', it's not working too well. At the moment when we call him he runs in the opposite direction. I suppose I'll just have to accept him as he is. He's a lovely boy, regardless.

I really enjoy shopping in France. I go twice a week; more for the pleasure than necessity; but I like to buy 'fresh'. The deli counter in my big nearby Leclerc is superb, the fish counter is wonderful, and the fruit and veg' section has absolutely everything I could possibly want. The foreign food shelves are perhaps a little lacking, but in the UK we're so spoilt for choice that it makes the Leclerc lacklustre offerings seem quite grim; however, they do sell Patak's Mango chutney. Good quality wine is just under €10 for 5 litres. You can imagine why I enjoy it so much.

But most of all what I enjoy is the silence of our ancient, 300 year old, home. Being by ourselves in the cottage, out for a walk, or even pottering about in the garden is what we enjoy the most. This is not to say that we don't enjoy the company of others, we do; but I suppose we simply love peace and quiet.

30 comments:

  1. You have a lovely life. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best. In fact we live a very simple life, but in very good locations.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of mushroom picking, and the quiet. Are the fruit and veg better quality in France than the UK? I've heard so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think shop-bought vegs are much the same, but home-grown are certainly so much better. My neighbour recently gave me a bucket of freshly picked French Beans, and they were so much better than anything one buys. That goes for Tomatoes too.

      Delete
  3. I would enjoy that silence too and the fresh baguettes. Living in a 300 years old home would be wonderful, the walls must have so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house was originally just one room with a small barn attached. Life must have been pretty hard for the family who lived here. It's very different now.

      Delete
  4. It sounds as though your life spent between England and France is a perfect blend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is really. A bit of a fag uprooting everything, but when we arrive (at either end) it's always satisfying.

      Delete
  5. All those pluses outweigh the few minuses I should think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, or we'd probably throw in the towel. I reckon we'll be here for a few more years; it's too good not to.

      Delete
  6. It is ridiculous that politics limits your time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder if that might change quite soon. There have been moves on both sides of the channel to return to 'free movement'; the present system serves no-one.

      Delete
  7. This is a lovely, well-written blogpost filled with contentment.

    However... "the distinctive aroma of the French countryside"? Would that have something to do with (ahem) the "droppings" of farm animals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I think it has to de with the woodland. Here we have Pine, Chestnut, and Oak, and when all heated-up by the Summer sun, it gives off a very particular aroma. If I was dumped here blind-folded, I would instantly know where I was.

      Delete
  8. You have a wonderful life, Cro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a contentment to 'belonging', to fitting the place that you are. You have captured the sense of it very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived here for well over half my life, and feel very much at home here. A few newcomers have changed the atmosphere a bit, but they're of little importance to us.

      Delete
  10. You describe a very satisfying life in the French countryside. Adding ability to go from France to England whenever you please would be the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As, of course, how it used to be. Nobody gains from the new rules, and I think they're beginning to see that!

      Delete
  11. You have two wonderful, but different, worlds . You're lucky to have found such contentment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was luck. We were very lucky all those 50 years ago to find such a wonderful village.

      Delete
  12. Simple living is the best, yours sounds delightful. I could happily idle away my last years, in seclusion surrounded by countryside.
    Thank you for sharing Cro.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the sort for fancy things or too many bright lights. Give me the simplicity of country life any day.

      Delete
  13. I thought things were going scarce in British supermarkets, but you say the foreign offerings in British supermarkets are superior to the same offerings in French markets. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shelves on both sides of the channel are well stocked. We did have a Mustard shortage here last year but that was because of bad crop in Canada, and I do recall something being lacking in the UK last winter, but I can't remember what. No, there is no shortage in Europe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...