Saturday 20 April 2019

Changes.



With a couple of grandsons in the house, they were amusing themselves by looking over some old photos. They particularly liked the one above.

Unfortunately it's the only photo I have of the tiny ruin that I bought back in about 1978. We were living just a couple of hundred metres away in our first farmhouse here, and every time I passed by this tumble-down cottage, I wanted it more and more. My original aim was to make it into a garconniere for my oldest.

In time I made a proposition to the owner, and he accepted.

                                

I think you can just about tell which bit I originally bought from the position of the chimney. Everything else I've either had built, or built myself.

I suppose, to an extent, we're still working on it today. No more major building projects; other than maybe a dedicated BBQ area, although we could easily use a couple more bedrooms and a second sitting room.

If I hadn't bought it, it would have fallen down by now.

Changed a bit; ain't it.


16 comments:

  1. You must probably be a man with vision and courage to reach what you have achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about that, but it's been a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. That's a 'Wow, bravo' photo. I can see why the grandsons like it. Grumpy did a magnifique restoration.

    Some of our best photos are ones I've taken of the kids and friends on same steps over the years. Not only have they all grown but the neighbourhood has completely altered. Most of the old houses have been done up by the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I've done here has been done to look 'old'. Most people who visit have no idea that most of it is new. I like that.

      Delete
  3. Idyllic. So nice to 'rescue' an old building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did it come complete with tractor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner was taking away a load of old beams that had been kept from when the attached barn fell down. He didn't want to leave me anything of value!

      Delete
    2. I think I've just spotted my two very small children by the side of the trailer. I had no idea they were there!

      Delete
    3. Yes, to the left of the tree trunk. I see them. I was concentrating on the tractor.

      Delete
  5. You've been busy over the decades! I hadn't realised your place was a Project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% project. There was nothing here, just four falling-down walls.

      Delete
  6. It is a fine house and a credit to your labours. It is sad how so many houses in rural Europe are deserted, but I understand how impractical they can be for modern life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in France, every few decades there is a complete exodus towards towns, and the old uneconomic farms become abandoned. Bit by bit people return to the country and it's all change. It's a never ending circle.

      Delete
  7. Around here, that's called working with the footprint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There had once been a barn attached to the tiny cottage, but it had fallen down, and all the stone removed. Pity.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...