Wednesday 26 April 2017

Veggie Curry.



I can't tell you how many times I've experimented with Veggie Curries; but I think I'm getting close to my goal.

I like to eat veggie at least a couple of times each week, and I now see it as no different to eating meat based meals. The main difference being that the veggie meals tend to come direct from Haddock's and the store cupboard, whereas meat has to be bought (at a hefty price).

I've made this particular curry several times, and it gets a 'thumbs up' from all who taste it.

Ingredients: 1 small red onion, a couple of large mushrooms, a small tin of red beans, hot curry paste, and a teaspoon of good Greek yogurt. 

Method: Fry the thinly sliced onion in a good splash of vegetable oil, add and fry the chopped mushrooms (1.5 cm cubes ?), add a teaspoon of curry paste and some garam masala, then a small amount of water and salt. Add the washed beans, then thicken to a creamy consistency with a spoonful of yogurt. I occasionally add a small amount of vegetable stock cube, and a few other spices to taste. A pretty basic curry that takes about 8 mins to prepare.

Verdict: Curry, delicious. Recentlyly made Brinjal pickle, nice but could be improved.






28 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds delicious. Not too much in it. I can certainly find the Greek yogurt here! Just might try it. We eat vegetable meals three times a week or more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasant simple curry that I found through Rick Stein. Simple is often best!

      Delete
  2. Your recipe looks easy to do and sounds good. I have never seen curry paste here, only curry powder and not even hot, it is very mild.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powder is much the same; just add some chilli to the mix. I use both paste and powder, plus a lot of other spices. It'a all a matter of taste.

      Delete
  3. It looks very simple and good, i shall try it ,like Maria i am not sure i can find curry paste here, going to the local shop in few minuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of spoons of mild powder would do the job, then just add the amount of heat that suits you. You'd probably have to use slightly more vegetable oil too.

      Delete
  4. My vegetable curry has vegetables in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't follow any recipe when making curry....I just throw everything into the pot! Turns out different every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that too, but now I like to know exactly how to make the same one again, just in case it turns out particularly well.

      Delete
  6. If I would return to being vegetarian, I would like to eat Indian food almost exclusively, but the trouble is that most Indian men have wives and mothers who don't mind spending all day preparing it. Your quick recipe may be the answer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily become vegetarian, other than I rather like meat too.

      Delete
  7. Sounds good to me. But then I am very hungry right now; not enough to eat at lunch time.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hungry too; I'm about to have my lunchtime soup.

      Delete
  8. A curry without a cold beer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer red wine, but I'm a peasant.

      Delete
    2. You are now a bona fide Frenchman! Don't forget the baguette.

      Delete
  9. Vegetables and beans work really well in a curry. I always like a sliced banana on the side too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound good. I like a nice vege curry. Now what wine would you have with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I only drink very simple red wine with whatever I'm eating. I know it's not recommended.

      Delete
  11. We do meatless meals at least three or four times a week. My vegan and vegetarian adult children have influenced us. I will try that curry, but will substitute the hot curry paste for something milder. Although my taste buds still like the taste of hot food, my aging stomach does not. I would be in pain for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The addition of the Yogurt towards the end calms any heat. I have to add hot pickles to get my buzz.

      Delete
  12. Do you serve it over rice or just the way it is?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shall try this. Since being on my own I had mostly eaten veggie with the addition of some fish - I love sea bass lightly pan fried in butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still not eaten Sea Bass; everyone keeps telling me how delicious it is.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...