Thursday 22 October 2015

La Soupe.



Lunch in this part of France is known as La Soupe. And that's exactly what it is.

There are two basic soups that are eaten by almost every country family; Vermicelli Soup (usually made with chicken stock), and Tourin which is much the same but with the Vermicelli being replaced by slices of stale country bread.

It has to be good natural bread, week old sour-dough is the best. When cooked for a while, the bread becomes gelatinous and delicious. This is a peasant dish; pure and simple. You could try it with Ciabata, but certainly not Mother's Pride.

Plenty of crushed Garlic is fried in a small amount of duck fat, a dash of white wine added, then a good chicken stock. The soup is seasoned to taste, parsley and ground black pepper added, then the slices of bread placed on the top. Having then been cooked for a while it is left for an hour or two before re-heating for lunch. Occasionally cheese is grated onto the top, but this is not essential.

There is another local tradition involved with one's lunchtime Soup. When down to one's final soup-spoon of soup, half a glass of red wine is poured in, and the whole lot drunk direct from the bowl. This is called chabrol or faire chabrot, and is an everyday practice.

                               Afficher l'image d'origine

How the other half lives, eh?.... French internal central heating. Lovely.



23 comments:

  1. I remember when I visited you there we went to a small country restaurant and had a similar soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another French custom that sounds wonderful. The French are the masters of food - simple or complicated, no matter the style - they just know the art of preparing wonderful tasting food. ( so says she with a few kilos to lose from overindulgence ! I know, I know...everything in moderation but you have to make the best of it while you can !)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff and on the 2nd pic you seem to like your soup. Bon appétit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to see you recognised me (despite the disguise).

      Delete
  4. England 2015. Menu Soup of the Day. "What is it please"? " I'll just go and check". 5 minutes elapse. "Tomato".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tomato soup, made with plenty of fresh tomatoes, a little cream, salt and pepper. Pass through sieve, and voila!

      Delete
  5. I like so much posts about food:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a lot of soup to use up the veggies from our garden, especially at this time of the year when the veg are beginning to get a bit sad looking. I love the sound of
    that soup Cro - in fact I love all your recipes - they are so interesting and I often try one.
    Today I have made a casserole of chicken and chorizo with red wine - smells good as it is cooking. We shall see at lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have just each had of bowl of my 'Compost Soup', which is probably quite similar to yours at this time of year.

      I make a similar chicken/chorizo/wine casserole with tomatoes, paprika, canellini beans, and green olives. Gorgeous.

      Delete
  7. What a delicious, simple, meal, which I have taken note of for when we have a spare chicken to cook. Actually I could cook quite a few chickens up but they are still alive and frolicking in my winter veg garden, which is a place they are supposed to keep out of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Magnon has just been suggesting that I do something similar.... No way!

      Delete
  8. Now THAT is my kind of food. Amanda makes an oven baked Panzanella which is to die for, but anything hot, wet and bready will do for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This soup is good; peasanty, but very good.

      Delete
  9. Yum! That soup looks delicious! I am also a big fan of your posts about food. One day I must visit France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hurricanes here, Jennifer. You'd like it.

      Delete
  10. That sounds so yummy, Cro! I peeked in the freezer yesterday and see a goodly amount of bones that will be used in the stock pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good stock always on the go is essential.

      Delete
  11. La Soupe is definitely rather special. The auberge at Le Serpt do a good one. I like the stringy cheesy bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck soup I imagine; the last time I was there, everything was duck. Very nice too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...