Friday 24 October 2014

Last Chestnuts for the Freezer.



There are numerous ways of preserving Chestnuts; this is mine. 

With a very sharp knife, I cut a cross into the pointy end of each Chestnut.


Boil for between 15 and 20 mins, until semi-open.


Peel away the outer shell (don't worry too much about the inner skin, just remove as much as possible), and remove the nut.


Then when cool place in freezer bags, and freeze. Couldn't be simpler.

These are semi-cooked Chestnuts which can later be roasted, or used in blitzed soups, or even puréed for sickly sweet desserts (not my thing).

As with all freezing, only PERFECT produce should be used. 

It's now the end of the Chestnut season, so this may be your last chance to preserve. Don't buy them later-on towards Christmas as 'fresh'; they won't be, and will probably contain worms. 

I put away 3 bags from the above, and now have a total of about 12 bags awaiting Winter; that's plenty for me!

20 comments:

  1. I used to love buying bags of roasted chestnuts from the chestnut man when I was a kid - a long-disappeared profession methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every fireplace here contains a special chestnut roasting pan; just like a large steel frying pan, but with small holes in the bottom.

      Delete
  2. I've never eaten a chestnut. I don't think I've ever even seen a chestnut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi chestnuts are a different tree...but still tasty!

      Delete
    2. Me either. Well I've seen them but never eaten them.

      Delete
  3. We make a tasty stew with chestnuts, red onions, garlic, kale, kumera or carrots and pinto beans....just the thing for this weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often throw a small bag-full into stews; it gives a nice earthy flavour.

      Delete
  4. I'm the same as Judith...the only chestnuts I've seen are what we call 'horse chestnuts' which are inedible. I don't believe I've ever seen them in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are what we call 'Conkers', as in the game of 'Conkers'. Not the same at all.

      Delete
  5. Whole chesnuts can be found here in the northeast in the States for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can get jarred chesnut meats imported from either France or Italy at a few specialty markets.
    Sauteed with blanched brussel sprouts, shallots and a touch of garlic is heavenly to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best 'commercial' chestnuts are sold in glass jars; no water, just loose chestnuts. They are as good as fresh.

      Delete
    2. That's exactly how I get them. Loose in a jar & no water. I could eat them right out of that jar!

      Delete
  6. I have never seen jars of chestnuts here (and we have an excellent deli in our little town) - there are some on the market stalls. You really are the best 'housewife' I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know! I'm not a fan of chestnuts, but my husband is. The thing is, he only wants them when he's "in the mood" for them, and it's a waste of money to buy them in the hope that he'll get the urge to eat them. Thanks to you, I can buy them now while they're still fresh, and freeze them. Problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've eaten Water Chestnuts is Asian food - they're sliced thinly and are a bit crunchy. Are yours anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing at all like them Helsie. These are slightly floury, like a firm potato but with a distinctive nutty flavour. Difficult to describe.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to add chestnut tasting to my list for next year then !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...