Sunday 24 July 2011

A Sunday 'Boot Sale' Cautionary Tale.


I've just been told this story by the son of an old friend.

They were moving to a smaller house so Mrs G instructed Mr G (my old friend) to get rid of as much stuff as possible. Being an avid Boot Sale cruiser, he decided to set up a stall himself.

The day arrived and he enlisted the help of his daughter, who was determined that everything should go; regardless of price.

Half way through the morning Mr G decided to have a wander around the other stalls, and left his daughter in charge. In his absence she began selling stuff at knock-down prices, including a rather nice single 'old' candle stick.

Some while later Mr G returned to the stall brandishing another candle stick that was exactly the same as the one on his own stall. He proudly informed his daughter that as a pair they would sell really well, and for considerably more money than twice the price of the single stick.

When he asked where the other stick was, he was a little disturbed to hear that it had already been sold. It then dawned on him that the one he had just bought was in fact his own self-same stick; but marked up at ten times the price. Oh dear!

If you're just off to a Sunday Boot Sale..... Happy Hunting!

10 comments:

  1. Something else I should be doing - de-cluttering. That will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now THAT'S funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello:
    Which really goes to show that there is no such thing as a bargain!

    Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the sort of thing I would do, Cro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me, too. I would do it. giggle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh, that's funny! Yes, it would make me mad, but funny anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O'h dear, wonder what he thought of the price she had sold it for lol I have often decluttered and taken them up too the little op shop and come home with half the box,as i took the things out decided I could not part with them...yet...anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What goes around comes around as they say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That definitely sounds like something I would do. Almost as funny as the time my hubby and I went to an auction ... and he inadvertently bid himself up. (Well, at least I thought it was funny ...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Decluttering is the theme of my year! And this story is way too funny!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...