Wednesday 30 June 2010

Haddock's: End of June .

Everything's doing quite well up at Haddock's, and all is looking lush. I'm still battling against the wretched weed invasion, but I think I'm winning; maybe I'm simply becoming more philosophical. In this particular shot are all the standard veg's that are essential for survival. Carrots, Red Onions, Potatoes, Beans, Broccoli, Aubergines, Peppers, Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard and (probably out of view) Leeks.

Just as last year, the Artichokes are going mad. I'd just picked all the biggest heads before taking this picture, but still there are hundreds. Lady M and I share a dozen or so for lunch, twice a week. I'm sure I needn't describe how deliciously tender they are.

Peppers, Spinach, Kale, and those baby Leeks, from the top end. The bare bit of earth on the left is the last successional sowing of French beans; not yet up. On the packet is says 'nain' (dwarf), but they are all over the place. Whatever happened to those nice neat little haricot-vert plants of times past? Nowadays they're almost like runner beans!

Carrots, Red Onions, and Potatoes from the top end. The potatoes are a variety called Charlotte. I don't know if these are only available in France, but they are excellent. I've not tried it yet but I think they will make spectacular 'mash'; I recommend them. We've already pulled a few baby carrots, but, as delicious as they are, I'm going to leave them to grow a little bit more before really tucking in.

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Cro the vegies look great,Kale is not that well known over here however I have noticed lately it is appearing in magazines, we had it in the Uk and really liked it so we are happy that is is arriving at last. Looks like you will have a lovely variety on your table of goodies.Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale is a great winter stand-by. A little bitter for some tastes, but when home grown one can pick the leaves when really tender. We always have about 6 plants. Isn't it strange how certain vegs become 'in vogue'. Last year it was the turn of Cavello Nero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm missing Cavello Nero this year - it was my favourite brassica. Nice colour, nice texture and taste - kale can be very stringy. Also, all you have to do with C.N. is chop it up with a pair of scissors, straight into the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kale has a bad reputation because it's always sold too old. If you'd tasted my home-grown you'd see that it can be as tender as spinach.

    I haven't grown CN for a while. You've given me the incentive for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte. What a lovely name for a potato.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Wayne Rooney' - another great name for a potato, Willow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh look at that garden Cro! You should be suitably pround of that. I think the weeds might be winning here in Wales!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry spelling mistake - I meant proud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an amazing edible garden, I LOVE artichokes (or fartichokes!! as they are also known, how do you cook yours?)
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue. 'Fartichokes' in my book are Jerusalem Artichokes. The ones we have now are 'Globe Artichokes'. Personally I love both, but they're very different; especially for resulting flatulence. I think I may do a post on the preparatiopn of Globe Artichokes. They frighten many people.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...