Friday, 18 September 2026

Then and now

 


Our Barn in 2023, the day before before we sold it.


The Barn two weeks ago in 2026.

I don't wish to tell people how they should live their lives, but a certain amount of respect for a newly purchased property, and even the environment, wouldn't go amiss.

Before we sold it, I looked after the barn and its surrounding gardens on a daily basis. I had already worked for two years on the interior, and had created the whole garden from scratch; including the orchard. It was a great pleasure for me seeing it looking 'pristine'. However, the new owner obviously sees things differently. It now looks overgrown and abandoned, and is a total MESS.

And, yes, he does live there permanently. If he can't be bothered to do the work himself; get a bloody GARDENER!!!

38 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Unfortunately, this is why it is often not a good idea to return to a property you have cherished and then sold.

Cro Magnon said...

In this case it's right behind the cottage; we can't avoid it. There's also now an ENORMOUS branch hanging over our 'driveway' after the big storm of July 17th. I imagine it will still be there next year.

Anonymous said...

To mow a lawn 8like on picture one is not recommended. No place to hid8e for small animals and n2othing to eat no insects and butterflies. Ok the second picture looks probably horrible for you, remember it was very very hot this summer but I prefer fairy tale gardens with p⁷lants and grass growing everywhete.What I do not understand , he is your direct neighbour so why not talking with him ? So you would know why he keeps the field like that.5

Cro Magnon said...

I hardly know how to reply to this. We live in an area of open countryside, there are thousands of acres of woodland, etc, for wildlife to live in. One small patch of mowed grass would make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

JayCee said...

Oh dear. I can imagine it must be quite upsetting to see it like that on a daily basis.
Perhaps you could secretly let a few sheep loose in there?

Anonymous said...

Idiot

Cro Magnon said...

I didn't wish to be rude to you, but there's only ONE idiot here!

Cro Magnon said...

We also had a terrible risk of wildfires this summer, and we were all advised to keep our grass well mowed.

Deejohn said...

I know how you must feel as I used to care and look after our own garden for one of our elderly residents. It's now occupied by a new tenant who has absolutely no interest in gardening.
One wonders why they even chose a Garden Flat to rent in the first place. It's starting to look like a jungle now.
And sadly I have to overlook it daily from my top floor window.

Anonymous said...

The idiot comment was about the first comment, not your response Cro (I’m another “anonymous commenter!)!

Cro Magnon said...

Sorry. Two people writing under 'Anonymous' is confusing. You are, of course, right.

Cro Magnon said...

The new owner of our barn is a 'Townie', and has no interest in gardening at all. In the 2nd photo you will see the ground covered in Peaches. He doesn't even bother to pick any fruit.

Sue G said...

I can see both sides - I understand your point Cro, it's very disappointing when someone else doesn't look after a garden you've cherished for so long, but on the other hand, what I see thee is a wonderful wild garden full of secret wildlife. I expect a night vision camera would pick up all sorts of interesting animals.

Anonymous said...

Thank you to call me an idiot . What did I say in my comment to get insulted. You love a well mowed lawn I prefer something else. Where is the problem. The anon who calls me an idiot must not be very smart.

Cro Magnon said...

To be honest, I think you'd see more wildlife on our well-tended lawn over night. We have Foxes, Badgers, Wild Boar, Pine Martens, and Cats, all caught on our security cameras.

Meanqueen said...

It's a shame when someone has worked so hard on tidying up a place, and someone else comes along and neglects it. It could work the opposite way round. A tumbledown old barn is completely gutted and turns into palace for the new owners. A half hidden mystery building makes me want to explore it.

Cro Magnon said...

Yes, it's quite upsetting to see how it has deteriorated, after having been so 'preened' and tidy. All my hard work seems to have been in vain.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

A bloody gardener? You mean a gardener who has just had an unfortunate incident with a scythe or pruning shears?

Meanqueen said...

So the second picture could be how it was before you started working your magic on it. At first glance I thought you had posted the pictures the wrong way round, as sometimes it happens to me.

Anonymous said...

I remember how hard you worked on the barn, Cro. It seems so sad that it appears neglected, but you can't dictate to those who buy the property afterwards - even though you live so near to it. We had friends who sold a villa and were constantly revisiting it to see how it was being cared for. The new owners had totally different tastes and the villa had the long overdue updates it desperately needed and the garden was left wild. Oh how our friends complained at everything the new owners did!
Personally I feel that once you've sold a property, it's time to move on.
Coppa's Girl

Anonymous said...

Vous avez votre vision et le nouveau prprio en a une autre. Peut être fallait il garder ce grenier transformé pour vos enfants. Vous pouvez toujours parler avec cette personne puisque vous la connaissez . Nous avons une autre vue sur la campagne , un peu plus détendue et moins polémique que les Anglais.
Bien à vous
Huguette
U

Cro Magnon said...

Preferably one with a mower!

Cro Magnon said...

You are right of course, but we walk past this mess every day when we're there. I know it's none of my business but it does irk me a bit.

Cro Magnon said...

We Brits do like our gardens, and spend a lot of time tending them. But a simple mowing just to keep it tidy wouldn't be too much to expect. I'm sure HE would prefer it too.

Traveller said...

I don’t understand it either. In my little village there is one house that has a garden that would make that second photo look tidy. They moved in about four years ago and have done nothing on the front garden in that time. There are pallets that are now covered in bindweed. Some of those mega garden sacks that have top soil in them which are so overgrown you can’t really see the sacks. the backyard, apparently, is even worse

Jennifer said...

This is such a shame. Not just the way it looks (which is bad enough) but I see from another comment that they let the fruit fall to the ground and rot. Such a waste.

Caz.P. said...

Sorry it upsets you and I understand why. But its not your property now. When I pass by my mother's old house, whose garden was lovingly tended by my brother and see its not only all overgrown but the side garden has allsorts of stuff dumped in it. Someone lives there too!

Deejohn said...

Sadly we have to detach ourselves from our former gardens or properties. I remember a story of a previous owner of Brookfield House in Elstead Surrey who once returned to that house as a former owner. The new owner noticed a strange man standing by the front gate staring in at the garden. The owner instantly recognized that strange man by the gate. It was former owner actor Peter Sellers. He so wanted to see his old garden if only to see how things had grown and matured.

Sellers was invited to come in for a cup of tea by the new owner but turned down the offer saying that he would just like to look around his old garden, which he did for a good half hour walkabout.

Cro Magnon said...

I find this so bizarre. If people are renting, I could understand their lack of interest. But when people BUY a new home you'd really think they'd look after it.

Cro Magnon said...

I planted quite an extensive orchard, all of which did really well this year. I don't think he picked anything at all.

Cro Magnon said...

It'll take years to get the lawns back to how they were. I almost wish I hadn't bothered!

Cro Magnon said...

That's nice. Tony Hancock moved next door to a friend in our Surrey village. Not long after he'd moved in he knocked on their door, not to introduce himself, but to complain that he could see their washing line from his sitting room. Charming man!

Kathe said...

That would be a torment to me. Like looking too closely in a mirror. Perhaps a beautiful stained glass window installed?

Anonymous said...

In the last 40 years I have built/fully restored three homes. I loved them all. If I had my way I would have put a match to each one as I left and burned it to the ground. It would have been less painful to me than to see what became of them.

Cro Magnon said...

Blinkers I think! We just hate to see it.

Cro Magnon said...

I can understand that. I haven't seen inside the barn but I've heard that as equally messy as the outside. It was such a lovely open space, but he's ruined it.

Anonymous said...

You made the error to sell it. Need of money which is ok or on the other hand to much work. The result is that now you are sad and complain about the new owner.
Brigitte

Cro Magnon said...

We do regret that it was sold, it was a wonderful home, but my youngest son (who owned it) had projects in Thailand; where he lives. He was born in France.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...