Sunday, 13 September 2026

The Fourth Plinth

 

For anyone who may not already have seen it, this is the latest offering for Trafalgar Square's vacant fourth plinth.

Works occupying the space are temporary, and usually have nothing in common with the 'heroic' theme of the square's other monuments.


This current one (above) is by American artist, Tshabalala Self, and we are told that it represents 'Everywoman'. It is entitled 'Lady in Blue'.

I really don't know what to say about it. It is cartoon-like, gaudy, and looks totally out of place. It lacks any dignity usually associated with Trafalgar Square.

Is it supposed to be sending me some hidden message? Is the person depicted someone of importance? I really have no idea. It looks as if it would be better situated outside a KFC Chicken shop.

There have been some strange occupants of the fourth plinth, and I cannot imagine what Lord Nelson would have thought about them. Not too much methinks! I hear that London's Mayor, Sadiq Khan, turned-down the proposal of a statue commemorating our late Queen, in favour of this blue woman.

This one will remain in place until 2028, when it will be replaced by (what looks like) a big lump of greenish glass, by Andra Ursuta, and is entitled 'Untitled'.

This (below) is what the fourth plinth looks like in it's unoccupied state. Occasionally it's preferable than when occupied.

In the background are The National Gallery (left), and St Martin in the Fields (right).


N.B. If you ever happen to be in central London, and are looking for somewhere interesting to have lunch, may I recommend the wonderful café in the vaulted crypt beneath St Martin's.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Art is art whether we like it or not. So I never judge , she did some vety colourful paintings and "collages".
I visited the Crypt Café two years ago when being in London, the place is astonishing and a bit oppressing, The real surprise was that it is a self service café with people queuing to fill their plates. Much noise and not a cosy ätmosphere like in so many other London pubs and cafés. My sister lived at Walton Place , a 10 minutes walk away from Harrods, a very nice district. She passed away so no longer visits to London. Sigh.

Sue G said...

You've got me stumped as well Cro. I was trying to think of what possible connection this could have with anything and all I could come up with was 'I'm every woman' song by Whitney Houston and later Chaka Khan. There is a 'Lady in Red' of course, but 'Lady in Blue'? I've really no idea, I'm sure one of your other readers will come up with something!

local alien said...

Are you kidding ! A fourth plinth and That? In Trafalgar Square? Looks like classic AI.

Cro Magnon said...

All art is subjective. My own taste is very different to the mainstream. This particular work leaves me 'indifferent'.
The brick vaulting at the crypt café is superb. A very special location.

Cro Magnon said...

When I heard that they could have had a statue of our late Queen instead, I was amazed. But that's Khan's London for you.

Cro Magnon said...

Homer Simpson is hiding just behind!

Anonymous said...

I love the Lady in Blue. What is dignity like ?She brings some joy to this grey place.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...