Friday, 25 September 2026

Stray Cats


In France we not only have a lot of stray Dogs, but over the years we've also welcomed several stray Cats.

Korky (below) was just a kitten when I adopted her. In May of 1990 I was visiting nearby friends and she suddenly appeared from under their car, and they didn't want her. She was quite a nice Cat, but something had happened to the end of her tail; it was raw and red. She (I presume that all cats are female) stayed with me for quite a while, then one night she disappeared. I looked everywhere, but I have no idea what happened to her.


I had several others turn-up over the years. Some just came to be fed and watered, others stayed for a bit longer. One, that I called 'Crocket', was a HORRIBLE Cat, but I looked after her anyway. She was named Crocket because I (unkindly) thought she might make quite a good hat (!!!!!).

My good friend Jock also had a string of strays who ended-up living with him. The most notable amongst them he called Gustave, who would drape himself around Jock's shoulders like a scarf. They were inseparable.


All these Cats were roughly drawn, and appeared in my scrapbook of 'silly sketches' that I kept for many years.

This below was Crocket. She really was awful. I think it shows!!!


14 comments:

Lizzie said...

It reminds me of the Specsavers ad where the vet thinks he has a cat with no pulse ... It turns out to be a 'crocket' hat 😂

Cro Magnon said...

Davy Crocket hats were very fashionable when I was small, and there were always rumours around that they were made from stolen Cats. I doubt if they were; I expect they were faux-fur.

Anonymous said...

Why was Crocket horrible? I’ve known some grouchy cats before and somehow they’re still loveable

Cro Magnon said...

I am a big fan of Cats, I was brought-up with Cats. Crocket was always angry, unkempt, and causing trouble. However, I looked after her for several weeks, until she too disappeared. I wasn't unhappy!

Anonymous said...

This resonates with me Cro, but sadly not in a good way!
I currently have at least 10 or more stray (feral) cats in my garden. I made the big mistake of paying the local "Cat Lady" to take a mother and her four kittens that suddenly appeared in my garden, to be sterilised and health checked. Her vet gave special rates for feral cats. She brought them back and I fed them and realised that very quickly their numbers had grown. No help from cat lady who was catching ferals in other gardens and then slipping them into mine, so I have now had to take advice on how remove them all. They have destroyed parts of my garden and constantly use it as a toilet (so much for the theory that cats use other gardens). I have been told not to feed them and they will go away. After two weeks with no food from me, they are all still here and now trying to get into the house. I can no longer leave doors or windows open or sit out in the garden without being surrounded. The dog, a terrier, has been attacked and is terrified to go outside - she won't even chase them!
Coppa's Girl

local alien said...

I love the drawings and your animal stories.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Regarding the adoptions, you use first person pronouns. Does this mean that Lady Magnon had no involvement? Perhaps she was off doing Swedish things like Nordic skiing, pickling herrings, building pine saunas and singing, "Thank You For The Music".

Cro Magnon said...

They are NOT always cute and cuddly, they can also be a pain in the neck! I've been very lucky with Cats, our last one, Freddy' was gorgeous, and I really miss him. Lady M isn't so keen, so I think he was our last.

Cro Magnon said...

I used to draw everything for my scrap book, but I stopped quite a while ago.

Cro Magnon said...

She isn't a Cat fan. She just about tolerates them; that's all. As for her other activities, you are right on all counts, but she does also produce the most wonderful Swedish rotten fish, whilst listening to Abba, Babba, Cabba, Dabba, etc..

Jennifer said...

The mama cat we were feeding in the spring took off and left us with two of her kittens, who are now adolescent cats who badly want to live here with us. Between the dogs, Marco the bird, and my allergies, it's not a good idea, but we continue to feed them. Sigh. We did it to ourselves; no good deed goes unpunished!

Cro Magnon said...

I wonder what happened to their Mum? It's strange how they suddenly disappear like that, especially if they have kittens. I like Cats, but we had a similar situation back in the 70's. Two kittens turned-up, and both died very soon after; I imagine they both had incurable illnesses.

Rian said...

Cro, we've been in our home for 40 years and have always had cats. We live on a creek and share our back with all kinds of wildlife... but feral cats are a constant. Some hang around, have or bring their kittens, and eventually disappear. Some have left their kittens and not returned. We'd take them in, bottle feed them, and eventually keep them or take them to the adoption room at a local shelter. Inside ones became very dear - and most lived for 15-20 years (still miss them).

Travel said...

Hubby claims he is allergic to cats. though he has never stopped breathing to prove it to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...