I do like Poached Eggs, but I hardly ever prepare them. I have a dedicated 4 Egg stainless steel Poaching pan in France, which doesn't get much use; I don't know why.
A while back I heard of a poaching method that sounded quick and easy. You half-filled a mug with boiling water, dropped the Egg into it, and microwaved for a minute. It worked but was slightly over-cooked. 40 seconds would probably have been enough. There was also a slight explosion.
Someone later gave me these two silicone poachers (below), that float on boiling water whilst the Eggs are cooking; I put some butter in the bottom. They work well, but take much longer; about 5 minutes.
Recently another method kept cropping-up on my Facebook page. I was very taken by its simplicity, and guaranteed success, so I ordered TWO. They arrived almost at once.
Yesterday morning I was very eager to try my new purchase (below). One puts a small amount of water in each section, pops in the Eggs, and microwaves for one minute; having first pricked the Eggs all over with a toothpick.
At about 45 seconds there was an almighty explosion, and the interior of the microwave was completely pebble-dashed with half-cooked Egg. It then took me about half an hour to clean the interior of the bloody oven.
The two brand new Egg poachers went directly to the dustbin.
My advice is, if they appear on your Facebook page, and you are tempted; DON'T BUY THEM.
They are lethal.


13 comments:
I also have aa 4 egg poacher. Works well but does take a little longer. .. Still gives you time to do the toast.. Doesn't explode tho, haha.
Exactly. A much safer option too.
I purchased one of these. I don't prick the yolk and mine doesn't explode. A medium egg takes 45s. I have to ensure that the lid is locked shut.
I made sure the top was secured, but it just blew it off. I wonder if my Microwave is set too high?
I simply drop the eggs into boiling water and know they are done when the toast pops up.
Of course they aren't a perfect shape but that doesn't matter to me.
Boil salted water in a saucepan, give the water a swirl and drop in the eggs, let water gently bubble. It never fails, BUT ensure the eggs are room temperature
That made me laugh. Explosions in the microwave - very messy. I only ever need one cooked egg, the extra large ones are just right to add to a meal. Small nonstick pan on the gas hob, smidgen, (less than a teaspoonful), of extra virgin olive oil, ten seconds on one side, flip, turn gas off, another ten seconds, egg ready.
Friend of mine taught me this: put some clingfilm in a cup, drop the egg in, then take out the cling film with egg, screw up the top edges to enclose the egg and then drop the whole thing in water. Works quite well!
That's the old-fashioned, well-tried, method of our ancestors. It always worked for them, as it does for us!
Yes, far more sensible, and SAFE.
I do tend to fry most things (healthily), but I was hoping to ditch my frying pan for a while. My son will come for an early breakfast tomorrow and I'll use the yellow poachers. We usually have a Full English.
What a very good idea. I will definitely try that!!!
Post a Comment