Thursday, 17 September 2026

Bloody thieves


I've just received my Car Insurance renewal papers.

As you can see, my premium has jumped from £415 to £509. A total disgrace!


The less I drive, the more my premium rises. What on earth have I done to warrant this increase? I've made no claims, I've had no accidents, in fact I've been the perfect client. I pay them cash and they give nothing in return; nor have they since I first began to drive! They should be falling at my feet, and offering me free coverage for the next decade, in the knowledge that I'm one of the safest drivers in Europe.

As with Road Tax, there is no escape from Car Insurance other than to sell my car and become 100% pedestrian. For the moment I cannot exist without my car; especially in France, so I need to continue to pay these scoundrels whatever they demand.

Bah; humbug!

 

27 comments:

Will said...

Threatening to cancel and go elsewhere sometimes works, I have also taken out exactly the same cover as a new customer and got a much more attractive price - loyalty doesn't pay for insurance customers!

Anonymous said...

I change companies most years. I am paying more than five years ago but not drastically more.

Cro Magnon said...

I think Kimbo will come this weekend to find an alternative. To jump £100 seems crazy.

Cro Magnon said...

I have no allegiance to any insurance company, so a change is probably a good idea.

Anonymous said...

Car insurance fees are always the highest for young and old drivers. You are 80 , so you may have an increased risk in reacting slower , you have already some problems with your legs. I think that old people should not drive anymore.i have a neighbour 92 years old and still driving , his son claims he is6 a danger , but there is unfortunately no law to stop old people to take their car. I think that your Leclerc has a delivery service or there is a bus connection to the next town.

Cro Magnon said...

For the moment I'm still a 'good driver', but I can certainly envisage a time when I shall stop. There are plenty of delivery services here in Brighton, but not in France I think.

local alien said...

Part of my reading list is back but still not your early morning posts.
Phone around, change companies. That's what we did and pay far less. We also sized down to a less powerful car. Don't ask me details lol but our car tax depends on horsepower, cc, whatever. We pay half what we used to.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

No, you do not need to "pay these scoundrels whatever they demand". Phone them up and calmly say that you are surprised that your premium has risen so much and that you are thinking of cancelling your arrangement with them. You have found cheaper insurance elsewhere. Quote last year's figure and ask if there's anything they can do to reduce your new premium figure. This has worked many times for me.

Meanqueen said...

That's a big jump. You have made me check my policy. I use an Insurance Broker, have been with them for 55 years. It's a family business in my home town. I let them do the searching for a better deal. I add on a legal expenses cover of £32, which gave me a loan car when my car was written off. It was £484 in Jan 26.

Cro Magnon said...

Mine isn't a big car at all, and I do very few miles. I can't understand why the premium should jump so rapidly.

Cro Magnon said...

We shall certainly be having words with them. Whether or not they'll take notice is another question. We shall see.

Cro Magnon said...

If it had gone to £450 I probably wouldn't have minded, but a whole £100 increase seems 'unfair'.

Traveller said...

You turned 80 Cro, that is what you have done. Very easy to get alternative quotes. Search for “go compare” and see what they come up with.

Yael said...

It's exactly the same situation here. I'm angry and paying.

Cro Magnon said...

Yes, we'll have a good look over the weekend. If I remember correctly, the present one came from 'Go Compare'.

Cro Magnon said...

Bills should rise 'gradually', not jump by 30%.

Traveller said...

Do you have your son as a named driver? If not see if that lowers the premium.

Cro Magnon said...

No, just my wife.

Jennifer said...

Call and threaten to go elsewhere; it almost always works. Good luck!

Traveller said...

Adding a younger driver as a named driver can reduce the premium. Well it did 30 odd years ago when my mother added me to her insurance.

Travel said...

Ouch!

Cro Magnon said...

I'll send in 'the boys'.

Cro Magnon said...

OUCH indeed.

Anonymous said...

I am 85, drive only a little over 1000 miles per year, no accidents and pay $1300. A year. After we are 80 in Ontario Canada we have to have a test every two years before we can renew our licence. The test is very simple, a sight test and a cognitive test. If you have had accidents they can require you to take a driving test. Gigi

Cro Magnon said...

I think they're going to make it tougher here too. I'm even considering giving-up driving in a few years. I'll have to rely on others, rather that having them rely on me!

Susan Heather said...

It seems a shame to give up being the driver that everyone relies on. That must help get you out and about to interesting places.

Cro Magnon said...

Now that I can't walk too far, it's my only way to get about. I shall continue as long as I feel 'capable', but I can see a day in the future when that may no longer be the case. My fingers are crossed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...