Tuesday 21 March 2023

Football.


I'm not really a Football fan. I've never played the game, and have only once been to a professional match; which just happened to be Brighton and Hove Albion, back in the 60's.

However our local team are doing quite well, and have become a serious force in the top division. They also have a fabulous new out-of-town stadium. They play in the top echelons of the game, and have beaten many of the English teams that are known world-wide, including Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, and West Ham.


I was in the park with Billy recently when I saw this double-decker bus going past. I don't know if it's been around for a while, but it was new to me. With a big game on Sunday afternoon, I imagine it was being used for publicity reasons.

Sunday's game was against Grimsby (a team not in the same league). We won by 5-0. Grimsby have a 'fish' as their mascot. Brighton, of course, have a 'seagull'. As everyone knows, seagulls eat fish for breakfast!!!

This, below, was goal No 4.


Brighton will now play against Manchester Utd or Fulham in the semi-finals (I think). Not quite the same push-over as with Grimsby.

Good luck boys.

14 comments:

  1. Go Brighton! You're obviously feeling chirpier. Nice to see you back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot chirpier, but enough to function. Still very listless and tired.

      Delete
  2. Good to see a new post from you, even if it is about football!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brighton have done really well in recent years. Perhaps you and Kimbo should go along to watch a match before long. You will have to swear, swill lager and fight with opposition fans. I suggest that you stand behind Kimbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some years ago I saw a survey about the best half-time meat pies; Brighton's came top, but they were also the most expensive. I'm tempted to go, if only for a pie!

      Delete
  4. Cro, Your team Brighton WILL be playing Man Utd (my team) in the semi-finals of the F.A Cup (22nd April) as Utd did beat Fulham on Sunday when you were not so well. So it's a big event for Brighton.
    Don't forget the hot honey and lemon drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, it's a whole month away, I'd somehow imagined it would be played within a couple of weekends. May the best team win.

      Delete
  5. Not a sports fan here, but I understand why it would be fun to be able to root for a local team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Brighton! Will you attend a game with your Brighton grandsons. Watching a winning team sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my cup of tea, but I have tried to encourage my oldest to take his boys.

      Delete
  7. I'm afraid that football leaves me totally cold - I only wish that the BBC had taken Match of the Day off air permanently. To (mis)quote Oscar Wilde - the unspeakable chasing the uneatable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a football fan either nor soccer or any other sport. I don't go to games, I don't watch on TV, I don't even pay attention to the sport segment of the TV news.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...