Friday 15 February 2019

Winter Mushrooms.



Surprisingly, there are actually some Mushrooms growing at the moment. Just yesterday I was crossing a field that was covered with small white Mushrooms.

Then today I was picking some Kale at Haddock's, when I noticed the above growing beneath their stalks.

I've not seen these before. They were black, very small (less than 1 cm in diameter), and seemed to contain 'seeds'; which is very strange. You can even see where some of the 'seeds' have separated from their 'cups, and are lying on the ground nearby.

It didn't take me long to find them on Wiki. They are called Cyathus; also known as Bird's Nest Fungi (for obvious reasons).  

It you are interested, here is the Wiki link....  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyathus

Ain't nature wunderbar.


24 comments:

  1. Yes Bird's Nest fungi. One I have never seen. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how it suddenly turned up at Haddock's? I could easily have missed it.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating. Interesting shapes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they edible ? Don’t poison yourself 😱🥴 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so; I'm certainly not going to try. You'd need an awful lot for an omelet.

      Delete
  4. Interesting! I just checked out your link and it seems that they are not edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected as much. In fact,I don't suppose anyone has ever tried them.

      Delete
  5. It is nice to see anything growing in the garden (except for Kale) at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unusual looking. I think I saw a parasol the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, lucky you. One of our real favourites.

      Delete
  7. If you kick them over, pick them at their best or kick them about when over ther top do they grow better the next 'season'? Not just these little pretties but real edible jobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they don't. They don't grow by 'seeding', they grow from huge sub-soil root systems called Mycelium, which can often cover huge areas. The right weather conditions in the right area brings up your mushrooms. That's basically it.

      Delete
  8. That was a good little Wiki read. I'd not heard of them before either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are they edible? If you say yes and then don't post a blog tomorrow I shall know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think they are. I'm certainly not going to test them!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...