Saturday 21 July 2012

Essential Supplies.



Following on from yesterday's sad tale... Now for the good news.

My nearest vineyard, at St Martin de Redon, is about 12 kms away from us, and luckily is also en route to and from our preferred supermarket. 

They make 3 wines; Vin de Table, AOC Cahors, and Rosé. We buy the table wine, which is excellent.


This is how it's sold; not unlike petrol. We take our plastic containers, and this lovely lady just fills 'em up.

Yesterday I asked her about the cépage of this simple table wine, and was not surprised to learn that it was mostly Cabernet, with a little Merlot..... my two favourites.

So what does it cost? €1.10 per litre (86p or $1.20)..... a bargain in any currency!



Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

  1. Cabernet and Merlot, one of my favourite blends. But it costs me more than ten times as much as it costs you! NZ$9.99 for a 750 ml bottle, and that's when it's "on special"! What a splendid place you live, Cro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame you can't run a car on wine at that price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Judith says NZ$9.99 minimum on special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloody hell - I pay about10 times more than that for mine, but that's the price you have to pay for living next to Waitrose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not exactly an elegant method of delivery but certainly economical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We decant into a Ch Pétrus bottle before drinking.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I meant to check, yesterday, how much certain bottled waters are here, but I forgot. I have a feeling that you're right.

      Delete
    2. I think that Perrier is well worth the premium, though (the water, not the Champagne).

      Delete
    3. It's all the added chemicals that make it so expensive.

      Delete
  7. That's my kinda wine...it's like a wine station! By the way, I added an embiggened shot of the little girl for you Cro...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a deal. I've stumbled upon some inexpensive wines before, but they lived down to their price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And the most amazing thing about those wines in France is that they are super tasty and won't do you any harm like headaches... We say they are honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Honest' is the right word. No additives; just fermented juice!

      Delete
  10. A pail of wine...how unassuming can you get?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool to be able to just drive up to a winery and say "fill er up!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...