Wednesday 23 March 2011

History and Warfare.

The reason why I was such a numskull at school History, is because it seemed to be entirely based around the dates of historic battles, and who had either won or lost. Personally, my schoolboy mind was much more interested in the practicalities of historical life; how people used to live, build, create, dress, and eat.

History lessons were always peppered with the names of great kings and politicians, the battles they waged, and who they defeated. In our own times we associate Churchill with WW2, Mrs T with The Falklands, and even Blair with Iraq. Each elected leader is almost expected to carve his or her initials on the ever-branching tree of warfare; and also expected to WIN.

I've not served in the armed forces, but I did do my spell of Officer Training. Day one, Lesson one, Paragraph one, told us to 'Know your enemy; Go in strong, Go in hard'.

That way, and only that way (we were ensured), was how to win wars. And for that type of warfare there needs to be an overwhelming moral urgency, a distinct enemy, and a foreseeable 'end-game'. I do hope our current politicians understand that.

There is no question that, like Sadam before him, Gadaffi is an unbalanced, cruel, and evil dictator. But the world is filled with such people. Where does it all stop, and how does it all end?

7 comments:

  1. Sadly it will never stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can't help thinking that Cameron decided he needed a good war to boost his ratings. That Beefeater came out with a good line: "History is nearly always written by those that win - which explains all the empty pages in French history books..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This also explains why most European national flags have a white cross on a white background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Cro, as far as being more interested in the practical side of history. I couldn't justify having to memorize the names, dates and locations of all the battles of the Civil War. Sadly, I remember only a handful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love history, but there's so much of it. They didn't have to remember all the things we're doing today, it's a little unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just found your blog... love it for it's just so informative :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you Cro,I just find it more fascinating how they lived rather than how they fought and who won or lost,I love those shows that take us to ancient digs I used to wach one from the UK all the time when they went to the places where the Romans were like Chester etc, tey went to farms and dug them up to find building walls etc,it was very interesting but can't remember the name of the show...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...