Tuesday 20 July 2010

No title.

My skill as a watercolourist is sorely lacking. However, here is a little sketch of our village church door.

Very typical of a small French medieval country church doorway, the stonework is embellished with a heart, two 'pinacles', and a carved ball. These elements are usually the sculptor's trade marks, and on the facade of old barns one finds similar carvings on the key-stone above the main arched doorways.

Our church is a fine simple building which is naturally the focal point of the village. Everything happens either in it, beside it, or opposite it. I have even exhibited in it. Its original purpose is probably the only thing that is now mostly ignored. Ah, how times change.


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Bah! Wish my watercolours were half as good as your sketch...
    It is a pretty church. I went to a baroque concert there last year. Enchanting surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pity it's not used more often for such things. Mostly Matches and Dispatches these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know I had been pondering that lovely church? Actually, I wanted to see more of it in your village picnic post the other day. Wonderful sketch. Watercolor is not the easiest medium to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that watercolor is a difficult medium, but you did a great job capturing all the colors of the stone, and that sort of dark, heavy wood of the door. I wish I could paint like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I clicked on the picture like I do and actually the sketch is very good. Is that the same little church where the picnic was held?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Molly, but from the other side.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...