Thursday, 6 August 2026

Time flies

 

My goodness, it's really gone so quickly. Our Summer is already slowly winding down. Kimbo and Susie have been gone for a while, one grandson has been driven to the airport and is already back in London (or Oxford), and my youngest (with Boo Boo and The Cherub and another grandson) are in Switzerland. My daughter, Tenpin, and another grandson, are spending some time on The Amalfi Coast before returning to Oz. Now we are all by ourselves again, and it feels very strange.

Having 11 people in the house was too much, and some eventually followed my original advice, and rented a nearby Gite. 

Luckily they were not here for the big storm of July 16th. It was frightening and destructive, and I'm sure the two smallest boys would have been petrified. However, they were all here for the huge forest fires near Bordeaux, the smoke even this far East was dreadful.

My 80th birthday went well. Kimbo made a superb film of my life with some wonderful surprises, and we ate at a favourite restaurant that night. A LOT of Champagne was consumed, including one bottle of Dom Pérignon 2017 (my first taste, and probably last, of DP ever).

I managed to catch a real stinker of a cold just before my birthday, but even though it was, and still remains, quite unpleasant, it didn't mar my enjoyment. I haven't been ill for years, then just when you really don't want, etc .......

I'm very lucky. I have a wonderful family, and it was a real pleasure having them all here (just one grandson was unable to come, he was working in Oz); we now have about a month before we head back to Blighty for Autumn/Winter. 

It was interesting how everyone seemed to go shopping without ever consulting each other. We ended-up with dozens of Eggs, all sorts of Yogs, packs of strange Milks, Melons, unknown cheeses, and of course piles of half-eaten Baguettes. I'm going to have fun sorting through the various fridges.

The Cherub learned to ride a bike. We've had no Crickets or Cicadas. And all the grass is crisp and beige. 

Summer 2026 was certainly a great vintage; and it ain't over yet.

9 comments:

Deejohn said...

I think that your Summer stay there has felt shorter for all of us readers due to the mishaps just before your arrival followed by a long abscence when you couldn't get online. But I'm sure you've had a great time. After all how many of us dream and look forward to our Summers on those long dark Winter evenings as I'm sure you did.

Cro Magnon said...

The hiccups were a pain. Everything was booked, and we were all prepared, then all went wrong. Still; it ended-up fine eventually, and we've had a great time here so far. Now we're relaxing, and enjoying our solitude before packing up again and returning to Blighty (in about 3 weeks). Lots to do, and everything will have to be prepared for winter; that's the worst bit.

local alien said...

A lovely round-up of your summer days and all the family. Isn't it marvellous to have family around you...... and then the silence when they've left. I love hearing about your children and grandchildren.
Enjoy the rest of those lazy, but hopefully no longer hazy days
And in good health!

JayCee said...

That all sounds wonderful. What a delightful way to celebrate your birthday.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I always purchase my champagne from Berry Bros and Rudd. Currently, a bottle of Dom Pérignon 2017 is only £195. I ordered three to celebrate Andy Burnham's recent anointment. Does that make me a champagne socialist?

Cro Magnon said...

We were sitting outside yesterday evening, with our glasses of wine, and the silence was staggering. Not even any noisy wildlife which is strange.

Cro Magnon said...

It really was. I kept telling them that I didn't want any fuss, and then they amazed me. The 'fuss' was superb.

Cro Magnon said...

YES, it does! Blimey, we couldn't afford three bottles even to celebrate King Charles's coronation. If you have a secret Email, I'll tell you what I thought of it.

Jennifer said...

What a lovely time. You, my friend, are a very lucky man to have such a great family.

Oh, and how was the Dom Perignon?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...