The animals graves had become a bit overgrown; in fact they had become totally swamped by a huge Fig Tree, so I removed the actual headstones and brought them back to the house. As such I can now see them every day rather than having to go to Haddock's.
Recently I was sitting looking at them (as I do), and remembering them, and it made me wonder which of the three I missed the most. Of course I miss all three of them, and loved each of them equally, but I knew that if I thought long enough, I could come to some sort of decision.
Monty was a yellow Lab' and thought of nothing but food, walks, and sleeping. He didn't seem to be particularly fond of us, he just relied on us to fill his bowl twice a day, and take him for long walks. He was a lovely dog, but very aloof.
Bok was half Black Lab' and half Border Collie. He was friendly and enthusiastic. He loved being with us.
Freddie was a Tabby; my favourite type of Cat. He was BOUGHT by Kimbo in Windsor. I never asked how much he paid for him. He was a beautiful boy, and would sit in the Quince tree for hours, looking at us. He walked across the roof at night, demanding to be let in through the Velux window. He would also often bring live Mice up to the bedroom.
So I was looking at their headstones and thinking, if I could only have had ONE of them, which one would it have been?
You may be surprised to hear that I eventually decided on Freddie. He was a lovely boy. He would come and sleep with me at night. I'd find him curled-up, fast asleep, under my chin. He was adorable.
Of course, as soon as I'd made my decision, I changed my mind and decided that Bok was the one. And then I also thought that Monty was probably the most fun to be with, so I'd choose him.
It was a ridiculous idea to try to choose one of the three. They were all equally lovely in their way. So I abandoned my silly game and thought no more about it.

8 comments:
I remember all three of them and how much I loved each of them.
They were all lovely, as was my very first dog Hamlet from the 70's. Our current dog, Billy, is very special too.
It is said that pets will often take after their owners and clearly that was very true of Monty who "thought of nothing but food, walks, and sleeping". Did Monty also guzzle copious amounts of French wine?
Had he been more 'human', I'm sure he would have. He was a fellow gourmet.
I remember all three of your good boys. We never stop missing our beloved pets.
It is a trick question, there is no correct answer to which one is your favorite.
They have such a (positive) effect on our lives. I can never understand people who don't like either dogs or cats.
I soon realised that, but I did wonder for a short while.
Post a Comment