We have been presented with a really worrying dilemma.
My oldest and best friend and his daughter, who are local farmers, own a nearby field on which they want to build a house. Kimbo was at school with the daughter so I suppose she's HIS oldest friend too.
Our tiny hamlet consists of three very old, and very beautiful, stone houses, set amongst perfect agricultural land. It has amusingly been known as the village's 'Riviera' on account of its spectacular location, and of being a bit 'posh' (non-farmers).
I am the doyen of both our, and the adjoining hamlets, and ever since I bought our tiny ancient ruin back in about 1976, I have ALWAYS been given the assurance that land here could NEVER be developed, on account of it being for agricultural use only. I was assured that nothing could ever change!
If they get the go-ahead, it would open the flood-gates for people to build on other bits of agricultural land elsewhere. A precedent would have been established.
On the above map the plot is measured in yellow, and the house behind it is the most beautiful (and expensive) of our three. The proposed building plot is right opposite the house. Haddock's is plot No 0413, and our house further off to the right.
This Million Euro house has just recently been sold, and the new owners are very pleasant, but I have heard that they (like us) are NOT HAPPY. The proposed new-build is literally a few metres from their front door. Their perfectly tranquil view would be instantly ruined. I cannot imagine someone building in the field in front of us!
I'm not going to fall-out with my friends, but I shall certainly let them know my feelings. We all feel as if we've just been slapped around the face.
I shall, of course, oppose the building request in writing (already done); I value the beauty and privacy of our lovely little hamlet too much. Our house is probably the least affected by the proposal, but I shall say 'NO'; more on behalf of the other two home owners, than ourselves.
THIS CANNOT HAPPEN.

8 comments:
This sort of thing is what I call a "test" in life. Sometimes we must say No to those we care for and if they cared for us they wouldn't force us to have to. It's too late for you not to be true to yourself. Be prepared for rejection though. Hopefully temporary. These kinds of things bring everything that is hidden to the surface. My husband has a 5 minute rule. You can deal with things directly in 5 minutes or live the rest of your life in regret. I feel kind of angry with your friend for doing this to you.
I have absolutely nothing against our friends, in fact I imagine that they were expecting us all to say 'NO'. We couldn't possibly have been pro a project that would have spoiled our solitude. We now wait to see the decision.
It's all a bit odd isn't it - are you saying that it's the farmer himself who wants to build on his own land? In which case, why would HE want to have his own property right next to the £million house? Why wouldn't he build it somewhere else on his land away from other properties?
It's just a money-making scheme. Build some horrible cheap bungalow, and sell it for a profit. After which they'd probably want to build more. They have plenty of homes themselves.
For every decent farmer there are at least two who are money grubbing horrors. Forget the sob stories, how do you think massive agricultural pollution happens? We had a row with the local farmer who wanted to move a 10,000 person festival to our village, population less than 200. They all cry poverty but really they are their own worst enemy. Every time I feel sorry for a farmer another one quickly reminds me that they can be as venal as the worst of us.
Especially now, as very few farmers actually produce any food. My neighbours are lovely people, but like so many, they just want to make a bit of extra cash.
What happened to the container place next door? You haven't spoken of that for a long while but I remember it troubling you greatly. Is it now well hidden away?
It still annoys us. It brings in a few 'tourists' every year, who wander about as if they own the place. He made a great mistake putting them there. He should have built a few 'Pigeon Towers' and landscaped it all tastefully. He could have been fully booked every year, and his property would have increased in value considerably. I believe the containers have a 15 year life span.
Post a Comment