Saturday 24 February 2024

Ian Lavender RIP.


Somehow I managed to miss his passing, and have only just learned of it.

Actor Ian Lavender played one of the UK's most endearing TV characters; Private Pike.

Dad's Army was amongst England's great knock-about TV comedy shows, in the tradition of the Carry On films. It concerned a war-time Home Guard unit on the south coast, and was formed from a proper ragbag of mostly elderly members. Each episode contained a watchable story, plenty of over-the-top characters, snobbery, wheeler-dealing, and plenty of laughs. Ian Lavender played the 'Silly Boy', who's mother seemed to dominate his life.

Dad's Army was certainly his most popular acting role, but he appeared in a huge amount of other TV, Stage, and Radio shows. I suspect he was never out of work.


Lavender died on 2nd February this year, but (for an unknown reason) it was only announced a few days later; he was my age. He will be greatly missed. RIP.

 

15 comments:

  1. And with his passing, I believe that there are no longer any surviving cast members of Dads Army.
    Sic transit Gloria mundi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad's Army, good British humour. A favourite programme from many years past.
    They're all still remembered with fondness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and he was the last surviving member of the cast.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I missed that news also. That's the whole cast gone now, I believe. The boys who made Hitler think again. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much missed by his neighbours in the Suffolk village where he lived too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I was sad when I read that news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I miss the simple and hilarious British comedies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the whole of the cast have died now. I always think of Ian Lavender as a young man .... he has stayed as Pike for ever in my head. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will always be that silly boy in the scarf.

      Delete
  8. Is that lavender growing from his helmet?..."Don't tell 'em Pike!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the entire series of Dad's Army on DVD, and watch them often, most frequently 'The Deadly Attachment'.
    Not only does that episode feature the immortal lines "Your name vill also go on ze list, vot is it", "Don't tell 'im Pike", but also the wonderful moment of Philip Madoc doing his very best to not give in to corpsing.
    I hope they knew just how brilliant those moments were, and indeed, still are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still listen to the radio versions; just as good.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...