Tuesday 11 May 2021

Boo Boo (a.k.a. Fangio) in the US of A.


He seems to be settling in well to life in Florida; I even noticed the slight twinge of an accent in one particular word when speaking to him recently.


His reading is now superb, no more problems with long words, and he is enjoying the company of other children of his own age. His school (Riviera Miami) has an excellent reputation.

Lady Magnon spent about 7 or 8 years at school in Washington DC, and came to no serious harm. When she was eventually sent to an English upper school (on the Isle of Wight), she arrived there with an American accent, which her new Headmistress would not tolerate. She was made to attend elocution lessons at once, and the problem was soon solved. Her English is now spoken with an English accent.

My daughter who has lived in Oz for about 15 years (presently in Brisbane) shows no sign of an Aussie accent; which I know can be very easily adopted; I can't say the same for her two boys. 

I, myself, have lived in France for nearly 50 years, and other than throwing my arms around erratically, and regularly peeing outdoors, I offer not a hint of a Gallic accent; although I believe I do speak French with a south western twang.

I have a feeling that the next time I see Boo Boo, he'll be encouraging me to 'have a nice day', wanting to play Rounders, and talking about 'Football'; but not the proper kind.

 

18 comments:

  1. Don’t think he will want to play rounders Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very cute photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was designing space rockets on his computer, I believe this is his 'space' outfit.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant photograph ...... the grandchildren change all the time don't they ? I was made to feel very decrepit last weekend when our grandson said I was 80 !!!! I guess at ten, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, all just means old but, to make me ten years older than I am was pretty depressing 🤣🤣🤣 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still shocked at being 74.... it doesn't seem possible. Maybe they got my birth year wrong!

      Delete
  4. And you'll be 'super excited' to see him again.
    After 45 years in Greece I haven't lost my kiwi accent and speak Greek with a terrible twang. My kids who picked up 'english' from me have no twang.
    The Americas an accent seems easy to adopt. Hope it's not too strong as he grows

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, he looks adorable there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he stays that way for a while longer.

      Delete
  6. Darling picture of Boo-boo. I think that it is a wonderful thing for children to grow up knowing other places and other ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's certainly 'well travelled', and has had a very international upbringing. That can only be a good thing.

      Delete
  7. Fortunately or unfortunately I, too, had elocution lessons and have never been able to alter my very 'English' accent by picking up a regional one. The disadvantage is that people in Scotland often think I'm from the South of England when, in fact, I'm a Northerner. The one exception was when I was in New Zealand when apparently I fell easily into many of the New Zealand words quite unknowingly. I still apparently have an unconscious habit of saying 'yis' occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often laugh at the idea of Lady M being forced to have elocution lessons. I can't imagine that happening today.

      Delete
  8. I doubt that Boo-Boo will be asking to play "rounders" Sir Cro, it will surely be "softball". "Hey Pops that was cool man! Now let's mosey on down the drugstore for some soda! Hot doggity ding dang doo!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, like so many children, he may just grunt, whilst fiddling with his 'phone.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...