Saturday 14 December 2019

Sandy Powell.


I've just found this video (below).

I worked with Sandy Powell when I was a student. I took a holiday job as an ASM with an 'End-of-the-Pier' show in Worthing. Sandy was the star of the show.

He wasn't an easy man to work with. He was grumpy, often sozzled, and he did whatever he wanted to. Getting him on stage in time was often a nightmare.

On one occasion he was watching some Football game on TV in his dressing room, and simply refused to go on stage. I had to rearrange the running order within seconds; no easy task.

Anyway, here's the old buffer doing some of his classic 'Magic'. His lovely wife Kaye was behind the curtain.




12 comments:

  1. You seem to have a history of interesting jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a fan of drudgery. There are so many interesting jobs out there; it's not difficult to find them.

      Delete
  2. A real Archie Rice. I've never heard of him. Did he get any further than the end of the pier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a very big star for a while, but as he got older he simply made 'guest appearances'.

      Delete
  3. I remember him in panto. I also remember a a wee boy falling for Dorothy Ward (who must have been well in her 50s) in panto, She had the longest legs I'd ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was much loved on the audience side, but not so much behind the wings. He made my life very difficult.

      Delete
  4. I can only remember him on radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I worked with him, he was just a name I'd heard. Ours paths hadn't crossed.

      Delete
  5. I remember him. Isn't he the man who used to say 'Can you hear me mother?' or am I mixing him up with somebody else from that era?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's him; and he was still saying it when I worked with him.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...