Saturday, 10 October 2026

What goes up, must come....

 


HOORAY, our scaffolding has now come down.

Scaffolders are always keen to erect their ugly structures, but very reluctant to remove them.

When I phoned our man to inform him that the work was finished, he gasped in amazement. I think he was expecting it to be in situ for a month at least. Just one week was unheard of!

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but here certain bits of the scaffolding actually touch the walls, making it impossible to paint about 8 small circles of the old paintwork. Without any prompting, our nice man informed me that they would paint over the un-painted bits as they dismantle. And they did.

I really don't like seeing scaffolding everywhere (we have more going up two houses away), and it's good to be able to see our new bright paintwork in all its pristine condition. Suave Harve did a great job.

Whilst the scaffolding was in place I took the opportunity to re-paint the flat bit of roof above the Bay Window with Bitumen, and also to re-touch the lead covered roof-ette over the Portico. So now, not only is everything painted, but all is waterproofed for the next few years.

We were trembling in our boots about having to pay some tradesman 'Loads of Money' to do the job, but in fact by doing all the work ourselves we didn't suffer too much. Just under a £grand for the whole caboodle. My wine merchant will be very happy!


23 comments:

Adrian Ward said...

I have always suspected that they only remove scaffolding when they are ready to reerect it elsewhere.

Meanqueen said...

That is what happened here to me when I had a new roof. The scaffolding was up for weeks after the job was done. Free storage for the company.

JayCee said...

Sounds like you got lucky with your scaffolding chaps. It can be an expensive addition to routine house maintenance costs but best to be safe.

Cro Magnon said...

I'm sure that's right. They only take it down when it needs to go up somewhere else.

Cro Magnon said...

They were very nice people. They seem to have a monopoly over our street. Everyone recommends them to everyone else.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Neighbours at the back of me had scaffolding up for 6 months with roofers not doing a proper job and inspectors coming to look and it went on and on. They were very glad to see it gone!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You may remember that Liverpool band - The Scaffold. I guess they were all scaffolders before becoming minor popstars. One of them was Paul McCartney's brother.

Traveller said...

We had scaffolding for almost five months when the cottage was being rethatched. Went up in April and finally down in August. During that time there was a huge pile of reed on the lawn that gradually reduced as it went up on the roof. Cost a fortune as well.

Cro Magnon said...

It is so ugly, yet everywhere is covered with it. I was very pleased to see ours gone, but a neighbour is about to have some more. In his case I expect it'll be there for months.

Cro Magnon said...

I remember them well, they were a slightly 'comical' band. Not really my cup of Tea.

Cro Magnon said...

My people had a lovely thatched house in Sussex. Luckily it didn't need re-thatching.

Traveller said...

We knew when we moved in it needed a rethatch. Will need to be reridged in a few years as well. The joys of living in a very old Grade II listed house.

Cro Magnon said...

Ours in Sussex was built in the 1950's (I think), but you would hardly have known it.

local alien said...

Now you can stand back with a glass of good wine and enjoy the sight of work well done

Traveller said...

The oldest part of the cottage is probably C14th

Cro Magnon said...

I love old buildings; the older the better!

Cro Magnon said...

We were doing just that about an hour ago (without the wine).

Anonymous said...

I hope your grandson got a nice amount in return. For a student money is also welcome . Can everyone study in Oxford ? I know nothing about the English system.

Cro Magnon said...

Yes, we topped-up his beer fund OK. Oxford is like anywhere else, you have to have the right qualifications, then possibly pass an entry test.

Travel said...

We have reached the point in life of thinking, well that is the last time I will need to do that.

Anonymous said...

I hope for the beer you are kidding. Introducing the young people to alcohol is not good. The next is trying drugs. No no.

Cro Magnon said...

Students live off Beer. They would all die without it.

Cro Magnon said...

We're hoping the same. And IF it does need re-painting at some time; we'll probably ignore it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...