I expect everyone has seen this 'statue' by Danish artist Jens Galschiot.
Entitled 'The Orange Plague' is it 8ft 5ins tall, and has been sitting inside the European Parliament Building in Strasbourg, France.
Whatever one thinks of Donald Trump (I, myself, am no big fan), I don't think it is seemly for a foreign Parliament to exhibit such an insulting image of a leader of one of the world's greatest powers (of whatever party he/she belongs), and one of Europe's greatest allies.
In fact I would say that its exhibition is a total disgrace, and if they think it'll improve relations with the USA, then they are very wrong. Such 'statements' are more suited to satirical magazines, or TV Comedy shows; not National Parliaments.
I wonder what Ursula Von der Leyen would think if a fat, naked, highly unflattering, gold-leafed statue of HER was exhibited in The House of Representatives in Washington; or in the UK's parliament in London?
This is 'gutter politics', and has no place in a European (or any) Parliament. I believe the statue was in situ until Oct 8th, so has now probably gone. Where to, I have no idea.
Would the EU have exhibited an insulting image of either Vlad Putin, or Xi Jinping? I very much doubt it!

27 comments:
It says much more about the artist and those that support him then it does about Trump.
Typical lefty nonsense.
Well this guy has a limited vocabulary , a 3 year old toddler has more words in his bucket than this stupid president. No respect for him.
One can just imagine Trump's response if the EU ask him for anything!
It really doesn't matter what one thinks of any politician. No parliament should be involved in such international rudeness; especially between Europe and the US. We need each other. Thank goodness the UK wasn't involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uizdKZAGE
Her brother did a good job in trying to look like her. Almost identical.
I agree, the wrong place to display the sculpture. I have no time for the man and think he has done serious damage to the US but this is not right.
And this morning we learn that the US will live stream an execution via firing squad. Just when you think it can’t sink lower it does.
I agree with you. Like most true democrats, I despise Trump and what he stands for. However, placing that sculpture in the EU parliament building is very inappropriate. It stoops to the level of cartoonish mud-slinging and is undignified in that setting.
As nasty, and misguided, as that soldier was, I don't think his execution should be made into entertainment. It's all a bit like Rome's Coliseum.
It’s not very classy. I don’t see the point in them displaying this
I agree totally. It has put the EU's relationship with the USA in the gutter. What fools they were.
Such things should be reserved for the usual satirical outlets, NOT represent a whole continent.
Not a wise action to take if you want to keep the moral high ground.
I wonder who made the decision to put it there. No doubt some Anti US/Trump activist, who doesn't care about any European special relationship.
Poor lad didn’t get the Nobel even though he has stopped 8 wars and saved millions and millions of lives.
Don't worry, he'll make his own!
There is an appropriate time and place, this is not the place. Across the street would be just fine with me.
Yes, anywhere; but not in a country's parliament building.
There are no limits to the depths the elite Globalists will sink to. The EU continue to push their agenda until we are all their slaves. Then the world economy will collapse. Leaving the EU was the right thing to do, for the right reasons.
The EU's economy is very weak. France is almost bankrupt, and most of the other major players are in a bad way. It's not the dream it was forecast to be!
They have forgotten to remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIqdcHbc8I
There are more than 104,000 American war dead buried in Europe as a result of the two World Wars. There are no European graveyards in America. Donald Trump is our president. How could they possibly think this would not be seen as an insult to the American people. Or, is that their desire? Makes me want to cry for our dead.
Oh come on cro , Trump has been so rude to so many people
It’s deserved
Bolloks Adrian
I think Reagan said it all. It could also have been said by Trump (but in a different way). Europe owes the UK and the US so much.
That is no reason to copy him. In Europe we should be above such things.
What an erudite reply. You prove my point, thank you.
Post a Comment