Thursday, 8 October 2026

Marmalade.

 


It's Autumn, and Lady Magnon doesn't feel right unless she has her hands on a wooden spoon, stirring something seasonal in a big preserving pot. Recently she set her sights on Marmalade, and was determined to make something as good as (if not better than) our favourite Cooper's Oxford Vintage. 

Unfortunately there were no Seville Oranges in the shops, so I bought ordinary Oranges and Lemons instead.


I was also instructed to buy Dark Demerara Sugar, and (if I could find it) some Jam Sugar.

Usually she follows Mary Berry recipes, but I'm not sure if she did with this. However, she boiled the fruit for a couple of hours, then, when cool, cut it up into reasonable (not too fine) pieces. The rest was just the standard Jam-making process.

There was enough for five full jars, and one half-full. I just happened to have some really nice fresh Sourdough bread, so I could hardly wait to try the result of her hard work.

Verdict. 10/10 (I would say that wouldn't I) It was also very close to the flavour of Cooper's Oxford. 

Well done, Lady M. Delicious.

N.B. The word Marmalade come from the Portuguese word Marmelada meaning Quince.


35 comments:

  1. I can never find Seville oranges around here so I always use just ordinary oranges along with a few lemons, seems to work out just fine. Nice to know that you've got genuine marmalade without any of those additives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't boil the fruit for a couple of hours though, just 10 mins or so in a pressure cooker is enough to soften the peels and fruit and then a quick whizz in the food processor before cooking it.

      Delete
    2. We don't have a pressure cooker, but I can see that would have been better. She was also looking for a 'thick cut' type of Marmalade, so careful chopping was essential.

      Delete
  2. Just right for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seville oranges are available January/February time, for a short season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't remember when they were available. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. My preference is for a thick cut marmalade as well. The jars look very good. I will wait until Seville season. This year we made many jars of damson jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our wild plums in France are quite like Damsons, and the Jam is delicious.

      Delete
  5. Marmalade making is our January ritual , Seville oranges are in the UK shops in Jan / Feb . We make enough for the year , we're all different, we prefer fine cut , light , and juicy. Always do Delia's recipe, it's delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt our stock of Marmalade will be gone by Jan/Feb, so I'll look out for some Seville Oranges then. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. QUOTE: Verdict. 10/10 (I would say that wouldn't I)
    COMMENT: Yes you would or your wife would chase you round the house with that same wooden spoon in an attempt to spank your dimpled arse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the subject of quince. If you know anyone who has quince to spare homemade membrillo is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We throw all ours away. We have a huge crop every year, but have to avoid them dropping all over the lawn. They go on the compost.

      Delete
    2. Try making some membrillo next year - not too much sugar and quite a few lemons. Wonderful with manchego cheese and some dry sherry.

      Delete
    3. We made some a few years ago. It was very sweet, and not really to our taste. I like slices of Quinces roasted (with Pork), and I LOVE Quince Jelly.

      Delete
    4. Try making it with a third of the sugar and double the lemons - not very sweet. If you like quince jelly, I reckon you would like it. Roasted quince with pork is wonderful. Unfortunately we don’t have a quince tree.

      Delete
  8. Lovely. I've got a few jars still of my last lot. Must have been made at the beginning of summer. Oranges are rare as hen's teeth after the end of May. I put a shot of whisky over the top before I seal mine. You don't really taste it but the idea of it is there . I boil my fruit before cutting it up but half an hour is enough for me.
    Delicious. Well done Lady M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only complaint was that she hadn't added any Cognac to the mix. She simply forgot.

      Delete
  9. Well done, and if you rated it anything less than a 10, you wouldn't be getting any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right. I had some for my breakfast this morning, it really was good.

      Delete
  10. Your score 10 /10 is very wise but calling her Lady Delicious is just so lovely. You must have learnt those moves en France:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a dutiful husband, who knows his place.

      Delete
  11. Your post brought to mind the video Queen Elizabeth made with Paddington Bear. So sweet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Pq0h0h-UQ

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just rewatched the video. I didn't remember the performance. I can imagine the conversation between The Queen and Prince Philip. I'm sure Paddington stayed very quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still hardly believe that The Queen is no longer with us. I never imagined that she wouldn't be there!

      Delete
  13. Ruby grapefruit make a marmalade that is a fair substitute for seville oranges. You simmer the fruit whole (enough water to cover) for a hour or so, drain the water, coip the fruit, add sugar and cook again to set. The second cooking takes about 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The method sounds very much like the one she used. I shall remember about the Grapefruit; I can almost imagine the flavour.

      Delete
  14. My neighbour gifts me a jar of her homemade marmalade every Xmas and it is awful. I just take her label off and add it to my donations to the food bank. I like Robertson thin shred but have not seen it for a long time. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I wonder what she does to it? There's really not a lot that can go wrong with Marmalade.

      Delete
  15. Just a thought, we use the tins of "Marmade" from Morrisons which works really well for Marmalade. As John Grey would say, bloody lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I've not heard of that. Sadly we don't have a Morrisons nearby, but I'll have a look to see if Sainsbury's do something similar!

      Delete