It is no secret that the UK's Socialists have traditionally always been Antisemitic.
They keep 'assuring' us that this is no longer the case, but just a few days ago, they imposed a totally illogical and unnecessary trade war against Israel, which will no doubt have knock-on effects against the Jewish community back in the UK itself. Both Hamas and Iran have joyously hailed Andy Burnham's policy as heralding 'The End of Israel'. They are both delighted.
After the atrocities of October 7th, the UK's Tory Prime Minister at the time, Rishi Sunak, declared that the UK 'Unequivocally stood with Israel'. He issued a very clear statement that the UK utterly condemned the Palestinian terror group Hamas. The Socialists (Burnham, Miliband, & Co) however, see things very differently, and have no qualms about condemning Israel, and supporting the terrorists; it seems as if, for them, Hamas can do no wrong, and Israel must be punished for having retaliated, after having been attacked in such a horrendous way.
The UK exports £3.5 Billion worth of goods to Israel, whilst we import £2.4 Billion in return. So, now that Labour has put all that trade in jeopardy, both will certainly suffer!
The small map below shows where Jewish settlers live in The West Bank. They are mostly growers of Fruit and Veg, and those areas will obviously suffer from Andy and Ed's simplistic sanctions. The UK also imports about 25% of its medicines from Israel; I do hope they've made provisions to buy from elsewhere. In retaliation there will no doubt be a round of tit-for-tat sanctions, I doubt if Israel will continue to import from the UK; or even sell them essential pharmaceuticals.
Most political parties have a few illogical policies, but they MUST also think of the consequences. To alienate both the USA and Israel, in favour of Arab terrorists and the UK's pro-Palestine protestors, is counter productive, and both Burnham and Miliband will live to regret it. Israel has already closed our Embassy (Consulate?), banned several of the most vocal antisemitic Labour MP's from visiting Israel, and evicted certain UK military personnel. Who could blame them!
N.B. I am a big fan of Israeli Medjool Dates (top), and I will continue to buy them (if I can). Winter, and especially Christmas wouldn't be the same without them. If I see other Israeli grown Fruit and Vegs on sale at my supermarket, I will always choose them over other foreign producers.
We should remind ourselves that about 20% of the population of Israel are Arabs, so there's nothing new about Jews and Muslims living together, as they do in The West Bank. It's just that some like to make a political issue of it.
The juvenile idiots currently masquerading as our government do not have the mental capacity to consider likely consequences of their actions - they have shown this repeatedly over the past couple of years. Their actions on Israel are likely just a smokescreen to cover their cultivation of the Muslim vote being lost to green and single issue pro-palestinian candidates.
ReplyDeleteWe all noticed that yesterday there was a move to ban 'face coverings' after the protests in Dover. Strangely I don't remember any such suggestions after pro-Hamas marches.
DeleteYou seem to ignore the terrible conflict between extremist settlers and the Palestinians in the West Bank.Ben Gwir suggests to kill at least about 50 Palestinians a night. He is an influent member of the Israeli government And what do you think about Netanyahou who knew about the Hamas attack? He sacrified 1300 young people plus the hostages to keep his place. It's not a trade war A boycott is only to show that not everything in politics must be allowed and accepted. Marocco produces wonderful Medjool dates so no problem for
ReplyDeleteChristmas .
Wish you a happy weekend.
Amy
There are two ways of looking at the situation. One by those who support the terrorists, and the other by those who don't. I happen to be of the latter group. There is such nonsense spoken about Israel, Netanyahu, and Oct 7th, that one really has to stop listening to propaganda, and actually look at the facts. If you seriously think that Netanyahu sanctioned the atrocious murder of all those Israeli citizens on Oct 7th, you really have to stop listening to whatever the Hamas terrorists are telling you.
DeleteIf Israel is still a democracy what I believe , criticism must be allowed. I visited Israel many times , I love the country , I love the people but I hate the government which contributes to the rising antisemitism all over the world. Try to read about it or speak with Jews, many many are ashamed .
DeleteAmy
There will always be apologists for Islamic terrorism, and we are seeing it everywhere. We all know that Hamas are killers, and thieves, but their fans will always ignore this to warrant their antisemitism.
DeleteThe old troll is here again with a “new” name.
ReplyDeleteThey will always be there; whatever name they use.
DeleteThank you.
ReplyDeleteDe rien!
DeleteOne of the reasons I like reading your blog, is you often have a different take on things to me. Unlike many, I don’t like to live in an echo chamber and enjoy respectful, sensible debate without name calling. Weaver of Grass was a classy example of that.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you didn’t, unlike some, characterize this as “cutting ties with Israel” or Miliband is supporting Hamas. Read his statement (not the selective reporting). https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/foreign-secretary-oral-statement-on-israel-palestine
The sanction is against the illegally occupied West Bank and the trade with that is pretty small. The UK is one of 12 countries imposing sanctions, (France, Canada and Spain are also sanctioning)
The UK doesn’t get 25% of its medicine from Israel! Just because Huckabee said that doesn’t make it true (an amusing aside, he once congratulated Canada on its national igloo!). Official trade figures state that direct import of medicine from Israel makes roughly 0.04% of the UKs total pharmaceutical imports.
Finally, at the end of an almost rudely long response to your post. The reviews of the film NAZA look interesting.
I'm afraid that with The Labour Party, what they say and what they think are entirely different. They can no longer be seen to be overtly antisemitic, so they'll say anything to disguise the fact. Miliband isn't known as the most anti Jewish Jew for nothing.
DeleteSupporting a two state system isn’t antisemitism. Would you say Rabbis Wittenberg, Baginsky, Levy and many others are anti Jewish?
DeleteI recommend to read Shlomo Sand's book " The invention of the Jewish people" He is an Israeli Professor of History at Tel Aviv university.. Highly interesting especially for Cro who speaks about his opinion but not about facts.
ReplyDeleteI know the facts about Oct 7th, and I understand the retaliation. There are so many appalling massacres going on around the world, but the lovies just concentrate on Israel's anti terrorist operations. Think about it!
DeleteI commend you for tackling prickly subjects on your blog, Cro. Excuse me if I don't participate in this conversation, I am not familiar with the many wars which seem to be ongoing indefinitely. I am happy to stay in my echo chamber with my own thoughts and ideas.
ReplyDeleteThere are some who support the terrorists, and others who don't. I belong to the latter group, and I don't mind saying so.
DeleteI also belong to the latter group. Criticizing the Israeli government, some its actions in Gaza, and illegal settlements does not equate to supporting terrorists.
DeleteIn the UK when the Islamists, or the Woke Lefties, criticise the Israeli Government, it really IS antisemitism, but it's hiding behind a convenient veil.
DeleteWhat about the Rabbi’s who have expressed their support for this move?
DeleteThe Holocaust started quite harmlessly with the slogan "Don´t buy from Jewish shops!" A bocycott is often the first step to something much worse.
ReplyDeleteHilde in Germany
I do find this sudden support for Hitler-ism very disturbing. Have these people learned nothing?
DeleteExactly Cro. The support for AfD, for example, is shocking.
DeleteThat is what you get when mainstream parties ignore serious problems.
DeleteAgain, I agree, and also when the electorate fall for platitudes and don’t look to facts. Was watching some reporting from the Republican convention in Texas, after the speakers calling out Muslim politicians, a reporter asked a MAGA supporter what percentage of Texans were Muslim….she guessed 30%. And she has a vote.
DeleteI ask this respectfully Cro so I hope you'll take it in the way I mean for it to come across: why do you never mention the Palestinian people? I understand the condemnation of Hamas and all other terrorist groups, but not all (or even most) Palestinians or Muslim people are Hamas. They are human beings suffering just as the Jewish people have suffered. Having compassion for them doesn't mean you can't have compassion for the Jews who were so horribly murdered on October 7th. It's not (shouldn't be) either/or.
ReplyDeleteAnd one should be able to criticize the actions of the Israeli government when warranted without being accused of antisemitism. I hate plenty of things my own government does but it doesn't mean I hate my fellow Americans. I hate the things Hamas do and believe but I don't hate Muslims. I certainly don't and never will hate Jews.
We need more love and compassion for others all around, in my opinion.
Well said Jennifer. It’s not binary
DeleteThis is the big problem that many don't understand. The Palestinians are controlled by Hamas, they steal all the money that is donated to help them, they use them as bargaining tools, and they keep them in poverty. Israel has always aided the Palestinians by giving them food, water, medicines, power, and technology; but Hamas simply continue to fire rockets on a daily basis. It all came to a head after Oct 7th, when Israel decided to retaliate. When Hamas are defeated, the aid from Israel will begin again. Until that time these monsters must be eliminated. This is not a reason to punish Jews.
DeleteStop spreading such a nonsense The Israel government has establish an Apartheid system. What about a vacation month in Israel . Who you laugh about religion might not know that Israel is based on the Thora proclaiming the deep relation to the holy land.You will szrely be surorised.
DeleteOn this very day when we remember the atrocities committed by Al Qaida in the USA, it amazes me that such Islamic terrorist groups still have their supporters. I repeat; I will never support such groups as Hamas, Hezbollah, Boca Haram, and even the IRA, etc. I will always support the oppressed. Support for terrorist organisations simply extends the problem. Be very careful what you wish for!!!
DeleteNot really sure what that anon is trying to say. I repeat, I do not support Hamas, or any of the other organizations you have cited, but I think the actions of the current Israeli government have been atrocious. There is a mobile hospital ready to go into Gaza but the Israeli government says no. Read some of the reviews of the film NAZA?
DeleteHello Roger. I saw you twice in Loubejac this summer and Seth too when being around for your eighties. You looked tired and exhausted, so hot in Loubejac this summer. I was ready to come over to say happy birthday but than decided not to do so. As say the French" un acte manqué". Take care
ReplyDeleteI may look like an ogre, but I'm quite approachable.
DeleteDear Cro, I have been a silent reader for quite awhile….do not usually comment on any social media but having lost loved ones on both 11 September and 7 October, I feel compelled to chime in. While some of the responders on here prefer to ignore even the UN noting that hamass has blocked food and medicine to their citizens and have killed their own who rebel against their savage regime, they steadfastly will blame Israel. While Gaza has been the recipient of billions of dollars from nations the world over, their hamass leaders preferred to use the largesse to build hundreds of miles of tunnels (more than the British tube!) and procure weapons - no infrastructure of schools, hospitals or roads…just missiles, guns and rockets to attack Israel. Is this choice the fault of Israel?Perhaps those referencing NAZA might consider watching Ms. Sheryl Sandberg’s poignant and stunning film: Screams Before Silence. Of course, it’s much easier to dismiss Israeli suffering as Zionist or government collateral damage. Anti Semitism is becoming increasingly prevalent and implementation and justification of boycotts galvanize this centuries old hatred. I am so very heartened and grateful to you for your courage…it’s a dark, sad day here in New York but your voice radiates warmth and hope. Blessings on you and yours🙏🏻
ReplyDeleteThank you 'anon'. I saw yesterday that Israel have destroyed a huge system of Hezbollah tunnels too; very similar to those in Gaza. Both Hezbollah and Hamas are stealing from their own people and blaming Israel. Hamas even stole lorry-loads of food aid and sold it back to those for whom it was intended. They have no shame and blame everything on Israel. The antisemitic Hamas supporters will learn the truth eventually, but until that time we will see more actions similar to those taken by the UK government.
DeleteNames of countries that have imposed similar sanctions on Israeli settlements: France, Denmark, Spain, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Sweden and Canada. This is not a step that any have taken lightly but how long can you sit idly by and do nothing?
ReplyDeleteExactly.
Delete