Thursday, 10 September 2026

Cheers!


One of the things we'd promised ourselves on returning to Brighton, was a trip to our 'local'. It seems like something one would take for granted, but last year we didn't go once!


The first thing I noticed was that there was a new girl at the bar. She looked very young (doesn't everyone?), and she dressed in the style known as 'Goth-ish'. There was also some unknown rock music playing; a little too loud.

We've been frequenting our 'local' for many years, and have always liked it; but things change. There used to be a pile of board games for customers to play, and a frame on the wall containing photos of all the visiting dogs. Both have now gone. 

There was a menu on the table offering dishes that didn't sound as if they'd ever encountered a Chef. And about 6 metres from where we were sitting were two wall-mounted TV's showing endless footage of footballers scoring goals.

The heavily tattooed man, who I presumed was the new landlord, was sitting on our side of the bar chatting to his mates.

It's still a good pub, the Goth was very nice, and the Guinness was perfect. But somehow I preferred it as it was.

 

20 comments:

  1. I detest t.v.'s .you can't get away from them. I had to wait for my eye test at the hospital and sat as far away from the t.v. as I could. A woman shouted across to me to tell me the programme was about scammers ! Sorry you aren't keen on the new look of your pub but the Guiness looks nics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Guinness was perfect. The Pub' was still OK, but it was better before. Pub' landlords should think twice before making changes. I forgot to mention that it was also 'Quiz Nite', which (apart from the awful spelling) is a new idea too.

      Delete
  2. Another blogger glitch this morning. No blog postings at all, except old ones, have appeared in my reading list. Lucky I have you on 'speed dial's.
    Those old traditional pubs are few and far between now it seems, from reading online. I presume the new style is what now attracts customers. No more cosy snugs for the likes of Ena Sharples. At least the beer is still good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad, but when changes are made to 'appeal to new clients', it usually means that standards will lower.

      Delete
  3. Yes, you cannot get away from the tv. They even have it on in my local Hospital permanently tuned to BBC News while attending my current six weekly visits to the Urology Department. And sadly all the waiting room chairs all face that tv. There's no escape from the dreaded BBC News.
    Cro, at least your Pub is still there. They seem to be closing at an alarming rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm afraid that this present government is determined to close-down as many as possible. Community spirit is on the decline.

      Delete
  4. What a shame the old place is no longer the same. Like everything I suppose. I remember the days when you could go into a pub, there'd be a dart board on one wall, a pool table in the corner, a shove-halfpenny board which would pull out from under the table, packs of playing cards, maybe even skittles and several locals sitting at the bar on high stools being entertained by the bar owner. No sign of a telly though, broadcasting the latest sport, or loud 'music' as you say, can't get away from them these days...I'm showing my age now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not 'showing your age', but simply showing an appreciation for better times. I don't want 'entertainment in my Pub', just good beer and good conversation.

      Delete
  5. I would sooner have read a little distaste for Ed Miliband this morning than your local pub and a goth girl, tv and tattoos. I will have write about him myself I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually writing about the little squirt this very morning; whether or not I will post it is another question.

      Delete
  6. I am now at that age where I become disappointed when familiar places change. New and modern isn't always for the better in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it is usually for the worse. I've never known a Pub' that was 'modernised', and was better as the result.

      Delete
  7. I am not a fan of loud background "music" in pubs nor blaring televisions that no one is watching. There's a lot to be said for peace and quiet and the hum of natural conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. There's nothing better than a traditional Pub'.

      Delete
    2. I am also not a fan of chain pubs but Wetherspoons establishments do not have TVs not irritating music. Pubs owned by Sam Smiths (Tadcaster) are even more strict as they seek to defend old pub standards.

      Delete
    3. I've never been to a Wetherspoon Pub'; but I do like the sound of their prices!

      Delete
  8. The one change to pubs that I think was a huge improvement was the smoking ban

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be a smoker, and I enjoyed a smoke with my pint. But I haven't smoked for decades, and I must admit that it's so much better without all that smoke.

      Delete
  9. In Italy restaurants often have the tv on especially if there is football. Even if you have no interest your eye is still drawn to the bloomin screen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is to hoping that the Goth brings in her young friends and keeps the place alive, long after we have faced last call.

    ReplyDelete