Sunday, 27 September 2026

Scaffolding.

 


Firstly I must say that I HATE scaffolding, and ours will be taken down as soon as possible. Scaffolding makes the whole area look scruffy.

We finally decided to paint the front and back of our bijou residence. We are the last to do so in our row of four houses, and we were beginning to look a tad scruffy. The painted surfaces are quite small, so we decided to do the job ourselves; with the help of grandson Suave Harve. In doing so we have saved a considerable amount of dosh; and Harve's Beer Fund has benefitted.

There was a small amount of preparatory filling to be done, which I undertook myself, otherwise it was a simple paint job.

All tradesmen charge a fortune these days. A professional painter would probably have charged anything up to £5,000. We ordered the scaffolding ourselves (£900), and bought all the paint etc (£70), so it made sense to clamber up the scaffolding with brush and a pot of paint, and to do it ourselves. The saving was enough for a Caribbean Cruise, a crate of Bollinger, and a month's stay at The Savoy.

This past Summer I fell off ladders TWICE, and I still have a sore head as a souvenir. So I wasn't really looking forward to going up to do too much, but I'm a foolhardy soul and I couldn't resist. In fact I could hardly wait to do some climbing and view the house from a totally new viewpoint.

The filling of tiny cracks was child's-play, and was almost a pleasure to do. The weather was perfect, and the filler I'd bought was very user-friendly. The two walls, front and back, were ready to paint in less than a couple of hours. At the same time I squirted some clear silicone into the joins between some parapet tiles. As I was busy atop the scaffold, my neighbour 'The Bishop' went past and we had a few words. I felt blessed and much safer.

Many years ago when I owned a big classic Brighton Victorian terraced house, it was painted white back and front. We employed a business called 'University Painters' to do the painting job. They were a couple of female students, who earned themselves a pretty penny painting houses at weekends, by just using ladders. No scaffolding for these intrepid erstwhile wall-artists. They had no qualms about climbing-up three stories of ladders, and did a great job.

No doubt with Elf-n-Safety rules these days, such enterprise would be BANNED.

Our present work took just one relaxed day, and the finished job looks great. We used 'Sandtex' Paint, which is slightly textured, and is very forgiving. The finish is very smooth.

Well done Harve; job done! 

p.s. I am now wondering what my left-wing trolls will find to insult me about. I'm sure they'll find something. 

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're already there. After all, when I saw the picture, before I read the post, I was really scared because of your adventurism. Now I'm calm... And as for the troll, this is our shared troll, he announced a few days ago in your post that he knows me, indeed he made sure to harass me for several years and even complained to me once about my positive attitude towards you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was anticipating that he'd find something nasty to say; he can't help himself. Some people are born that way! My best wishes to you Yael. x

      Delete
    2. Est ce que il a déjà sa propre entreprise ? Un bon métier en tout cas et le bonheur d'un travail bien fait pour le papy.(grand père)
      Huguette

      Delete
    3. He's at University in Oxford. I've suggested to him that he could undertake small painting jobs at the weekends. It pays good money, and he's good at it.

      Delete
    4. Oh je pensais qu'il était peintre en bâtiment et pas un amateur. Un étudiant avec un autre talent. Bonne chance. Bon dimanche.
      Huguette

      Delete
  2. Quelle jolie maison et quel bonheur d'avoir un peintre en bâtiment comme votre petit fils dans la fam2ille. Nous avons un grand besoin en artisans. En effet des travaux coútent une fortune , donc travail bien fait et peu de frais. Un bon restaurant s'impose ou un simple fish and chips et une bière .Santé.
    Huguette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our grandson, Harve, did a great job. He did the front in the morning, took a short break at lunchtime, then finished the job in the afternoon. It's all done perfectly too!
      He had Fish-n-Chips for his lunch.

      Delete
  3. He looks to have done a really good job for you.
    You ought to learn to appreciate leftards. Without them who would normal folk laugh at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to laugh at them; now we just despair.

      Delete
  4. A job well done. A very sensible idea to have scaffolding rather than use ladders. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do own a three-piece ladder, but as small as our home is, it doesn't reach the top. I am not sorry.

      Delete
  5. Am I a "left wing troll"? Okay, I will have a few words.First of all, well done to you and young Harvey for doing the job yourselves. Secondly, "my neighbour 'The Bishop' went past and we had a few words"....
    BISHOP What the **** are you doing up there?
    CROZIER What's it look like you pompous dunderhead?
    BISHOP Looks like you're trying to kill yourself you old git!
    CROZIER Sod off and find another altar boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're NOT a troll. I'm sure you know the one's I mean!
      My conversation with the Bishop was similar. He did ask what I was doing up in the clouds, and I did tell him. He has recently spent a fortune on his own home (over a year's work), and he is now having more work done. I'm wondering if he isn't building an underground pool or a chapel, or a nuclear bunker; maybe all three!

      Delete
  6. We wait in anticipation for a photo sans scaffolding.
    Harve has done a very good job and if things don't work out at University he's got a second string to his bow. Probably more profitable too!
    The whole of my property is painted white (this being Spain it's the normal colour) and was refreshed last year. As it's single storey I thought about doing it myself, but then remembered the last time I fell off a ladder, about 40 years ago, when I broke bones in my left foot.The doctor in emergency at the hospital told me it was easier to identify the bones I hadn't broken than the ones I had and how come I'd missed those half-dozen! In damp weather it twinges to reminded of my foolhardiness!
    Coppa's Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the story of an ex-pat in Spain who painted his village house blue. The Mayor gave him 12 hours to repaint it white, or go to jail. He repainted it!

      Delete
  7. Good on team Harve. Glad to hear you're safely grounded again.
    Now you can stand back and admire the work while Harve downs a cold one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's quite a weight off our minds. All done for another 8 years; maybe!

      Delete
  8. Good for you, as you say you saved a nice bit of dosh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saved A LOT! And Harve' benefitted. What could be better???

      Delete