I always listen to the radio through the night, intermittently between dropping in and out of sleep. I have a single 'earphone' so as not to disturb Lady M.
For some reason, known only to themselves, the BBC have stopped broadcasting to Europe, so I am now limited to LBC Radio in English.
LBC is a Talk Radio station. The same old presenters, discuss the same old subjects, with the same old callers. When I came back to France in June, I could hardly believe that nothing seemed to have changed, or advanced, over the past year. It was like listening to constant repeats.
The quality of mobile phones varies enormously, so many calls are almost indecipherable. The callers themselves are varied, and go from highly intelligent to completely bonkers. They also cover all political colours and attitudes; that side of them is good.
The presenters themselves vary in standard. Most are good 'communicators', but a few are so politically biased that it makes them almost worthless. They have an agenda, and they won't be budged. Not what one wants in a broadcast discussion.
I'm very upset that I can no longer receive the BBC Radio 4 Extra channel. LBC is no comparison; but I listen to it anyway. I just wish that the most obsessive callers (who call almost every night) would give it a break.

Aren't BBC radio channels available through the internet? Or is that how they are blocked?
ReplyDeleteMy radio is an internet radio, so I presume not. They do broadcast 'archive' material, but not the usual schedule.
DeleteBBC World Service is still on my radio overnight - it's a DAB radio. If you can't get it - who are they broadcasting to?
ReplyDeleteGoogle says You can listen to the BBC World Service in France online via BBC or the BBC app, through digital satellite and local DAB+ partners, or via AM/MW radio in certain border regions
Actually, The World Service is available, but I find it too political and tedious. I liked 4 Extra because of the comedy, plays, etc. And no News or Presenters.
DeleteThat's a shame. I used to enjoy listening to Radio 4 at work, alone in my office with one earphone. It was a soothing accompaniment to my keyboard clatter.
ReplyDeleteEven iPlayer no longer works here.
DeleteI have Alexa on all night with 4Extra or Smooth. Using Apps on the smartphone appears to work . When out of the house I used to use one ear piece but now I can listen through my hearing aids . I also share a Spotify acct. and have my own playlists.
ReplyDeleteI listen to Radio 4 extra when I'm in England. I miss it here.
DeleteI have listened to LBC through the night for years. Gives me something to get back to sleep with ,rather than start worrying about the next day or whatever! I quite like that the presenters seem to be allowed to have their own views on the subjects under discussion, unlike the BBC. My favourite is Nick Abbott on Friday and Saturday 10 til 1am, when he does his non serious stint!
ReplyDeleteNick Abbott used to be totally obsessed with Boris. He absolutely hated him (I don't know why). I suppose he saw him as over-intelligent and privileged. It really got on my nerves.
DeleteDigging into the archives of my memories, I used to have the radio on all night long when on night trunking work. It helped to keep up the concentration levels, and my eyes on the road. You mention LBC, and the phone ins. Yep. I had a mobile phone, one of the first ones like a brick. I had stopped for a break and decided to phone in. Can't remember the presenters name, he was well known at the time. I got through to the studio and introduced myself. Hello, it's Flying Fanny here, I am a trucker. A strangled choking sound came back down the line. He said, I think we had better move on. I laughed all the way home. I only ever listen to the radio now when I am in the car.
ReplyDeleteI did once send a comment to Nick Ferrari, which he read out on air. Otherwise I keep clear.
Delete"I live in south west France in the Perigord region... My name? Crozier. I have just phoned in to say what a fine job Andy Burnham is doing now that he has got his feet under the table. And he has gathered a talented team around him. I am a great admirer of Ed Milliband and I was delighted to see that he had become Foreign Secretary... Oh-oh, I think I have woken my wife up. I had better go now..."
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like the type of nightmare I could have! Luckily nothing so far!
DeleteTry Tune In - you will be able to access Radio 4 extra in that - no VPN needed.
ReplyDeleteI used to listen through Tune In years ago; I'd forgotten about it. I'd have to move my laptop into the tower which would be a pain.
DeleteDownload the app on your phone?
Delete