Saturday, 15 August 2026

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.



OK, this picture might be a rose-tinted vision of an England in earlier times, but it's very much how I remember my native Surrey village of Lingfield, as a child.

I was born in 1946, and lived for the first 14 years of my life in my small Surrey village, where almost everyone knew who I was; and greeted me with a cheery 'hello'. I always felt very much a part of village life. We all knew the village 'Bobby', the District Nurse, the Vicar, the Butcher, the Baker, and everyone else of importance.

I had my little red bike, and would cycle wherever I wanted. I would go fishing, watch the village Cricket team, or visit friends. My world was only limited by how far I could cycle. Freedom was total.

There was a village pond, and a village memorial to those who'd died in the two German wars. There was a lovely old church, where I sang in the choir. And there was a village Silver Band who rejected my appalling lack of skill on the Cornet.

In Autumn there was a huge Horticultural Show in the village hall, for adults and children alike, and on November 5th we held one of the biggest local Bonfire Night parades in the area. There was also a very active WI.

It was how an English village should be. Very little crime, other than one wayward Irish family who lived on a council estate, and couldn't help themselves. And lots of friendliness from almost everyone else. The only 'foreigners' I remember were a Canadian family; the Beardmores. The father had been sent to work in England, and the son was at Prep' School with me. 

My only complaint about the present state of the village is it's proximity to Gatwick. These days (not when WE lived there) there is constant airplane noise, which has spoilt much of its appeal. The last time I returned there, I could hardly believe how much noise there was.

Our village here in France used to have the same feel about it, but even that has now changed. The camaraderie that came with peasant farming has gone, and those same people now sit at home and wait for their EU cheque to arrive. The 'newcomers' are mostly NOT country folk, and often have no idea how to behave.

 

2 comments:

  1. Those descriptions remind me of growing up near our local Village in Burnham Bucks. It was like another world altogether. And yes, we're being forced to look back through rose tinted glasses.

    And the tragic news that our government are about to flood the Yorkshire village of Linton-on-Ouse (of 700 residents ), with 1,500 illegal immigrants is heartbreaking.
    It proves that Andy Burnham is simply carrying on from where Starmer left off. It's going to be another nail in the coffin for The Labour Party. And people wont forget this when The General Election comes round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very sorry for the people of Piddington in Oxfordshire. Their lovely village of 300 residents is to have 1,250 young male illegal immigrants thrust upon them. Unbelievable !!!

      Delete